Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup and failover recommandations

todd.johnsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two 5508 WLC's setup to run about 200 AP's as the moment.  This is a hospital with patient care now running over wireless.  I am looking for the best scenario to minimize down time.  Currently both controllers are in the same mobility group and I will be setting the primary / secondary controller in the High Availability tab for each AP.  Most setting are all default still.

My question:

Would it better to setup the primary/secondary from the global configuration?

Can I leave them in the same mobility group if I use the global configuration?

My only problem so far is having AP's on different controllers caused some response delay as clients move from one controller to the other.  I need to find the best possible response time with the lowest possible fail-over time.  Any recommondeations or links to a good article on this subject?

Thanks,

Todd

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you would want to do is set the Primay/Secondary on a Per AP basis, the global configuration are technically 4th and 5th in the WLC failover process. 

You could do this via the CLI, or NCS/WCS if you have it.

Yes keeping them in the same mobility group would be preferred.

As for the roaming, are the WLC using the same layer 2 vlan/subnets, or are they using different ones? 

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you would want to do is set the Primay/Secondary on a Per AP basis, the global configuration are technically 4th and 5th in the WLC failover process. 

You could do this via the CLI, or NCS/WCS if you have it.

Yes keeping them in the same mobility group would be preferred.

As for the roaming, are the WLC using the same layer 2 vlan/subnets, or are they using different ones? 

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Both WLC's are in the same subnet.  I had one AP out of six in a patient area switch over to the secondary and there was a strange delay when clients moved in and out of that AP area.  I figured it was relating to a different management IP or something.  Of course that was before I read up that both WLC should have the same Virtual IP...

I have read some instructions for changing the timeout’s and polling.  Does anyone recommend this or are the defaults acceptable? I want minimal downtime but I also need stability. Anyone have horror stories they want to share or some best practice advice?

If you need AP SSO then use the new HA from 7.3 code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: