cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practices for WLC Upgrade

nmyamani
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently upgrading from CT2504 8.1.x to CT3504 8.10.x. To ensure safety, I copied the configuration from CT2504 to CT3504. After that, I updated CT3504 to the latest version before connecting the new WLC to our infrastructure. I also made sure that every AP was associated with the primary WLC and that I changed the IP and hostname in copied configuration to prevent conflicts. To further ensure that the new system works as expected, I will test it with a specific AP before applying the upgrade to all AP's.

what are next I have be aware about?

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You could , for instance, have a checkup of the CT3504 configuration (before production) using this procedure : https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/show-the-complete-configuration-without-breaks-pauses-on-cisco/ta-p/3115114#toc-hId-1039672820
                        Feed the output into  (CORRECTED)https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I tried to analysis configuration file but it showing this error *BDBUnknownError* while this config file was was getting from WLC itself and I was able to paste it into new WLC without getting any error for that reason I need to start testing it.

Update: I did the same what showing in that post and it showing same error.

>I tried to analysis configuration file but it showing this error *BDBUnknownError*
                                                          You can report that to   wcae@cisco.com
    (if you want)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Just to confirm you should be using the output of "show run-config" with that tool?

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

I would recommend you that after mirroring your current config, and testing all AP models join, you test with different clients as sometimes new codes introduce new standards, features or even software defects, that could make your existing clients to suffer connectivity issues.

for that reason I need to install WLC in our infrastructure without effecting current AP's by associate it with specific AP's to test it due that I need to ask which safest procedure to prevent any issue.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What AP models are currently in service?

We are using 2702E, 2702I, 2802E, and 2802I AP's.

The 2700 will do what is called as a "double-download".  

It will download the firmware, reboot, join the controller, download the firmware AGAIN and reboot before joining the controller.  The entire process will take around 24 minutes per AP.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

The best way to proceed is to manually move some APs to the new WLC without setting its IP address in DHCP Option 43 so to avoid unwanted APs to join ('capwap ap primary-base <wlc_name> <wlc_ip>')

First deploy AP on a physical Lab environment (your home office for example) to prevent devices from connecting there, and after all tests are good you can move a small office there to test production environment for 1-month before moving it to full Prod.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card