cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3850 Wireless Controller Configuration

IBowser
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently gotten a C3850-48U and got it reset to factory settings. I noticed that the iOS version on it was VERY old, 3.7.4E. I downloaded and updated to the Suggested Release of 16.12.7. 

However, I cannot find the Cisco Wireless Controller configuration gui now. Before, I would navigate to https://(IPaddress)/wireless, and it would open the WLAN controller, but now it is nowhere to be found. Has it been moved to a different location within the base GUI? I hope I'm just completely missing something. 

Thanks for any help. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

reccon
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know Cisco dropped the wireless controller feature on the 3850 after 16.3.
Try to downgrade to 16.3

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Under Unsupported Features section, it states:

• Converged Access (CA) is not supported beyond Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.x.

On the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches, CA is supported in the Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.x software release, which has extended support for 40 months.

Downgrade to the latest 16.3.X.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Gary25Bell
Level 1
Level 1

I have mainly used CLI method for the configuration & if you prefer GUI over CLI you can use that as well. Before starting WLAN configuration make sure your 3850 is configured as MC in order to act as WLC functionality. You need to have “wirelesss mobility controller” command on your switch to make it MC (by default it is MA). Also note that AP & wireless management should be on the same vlan.(999 in my case).  Wellcare.com

I had read about that and looked to enable it, but I couldn't find any wlan, wireless, or mobility command under in any section of CLI.

reccon
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know Cisco dropped the wireless controller feature on the 3850 after 16.3.
Try to downgrade to 16.3

UUUGH. Seriously? Why would they even do that?? *sigh* Unless anyone else has any revelation on something I'm over looking on 16.12, I'll try that. 

Edit: Upon further Googling, It appears to have something to do with WLC vs Converged Access. I wonder if my 3702 APs with liteOS will even work with the 16.3 Wireless Controller. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Under Unsupported Features section, it states:

• Converged Access (CA) is not supported beyond Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.x.

On the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches, CA is supported in the Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.x software release, which has extended support for 40 months.

Downgrade to the latest 16.3.X.

Thanks. Downgraded to 16.3.9 and looks like the wireless stuff is back in the GUI. 

Just want to make sure I set these up correctly, I need my APs to have the lite iOS installed, correct? Anything special I need to do to get SSID roaming and Fast User Switching configured, or is it all pretty self explanatory? 

Thanks again Leo and reccon.

@IBowser wrote:
Thanks. Downgraded to 16.3.9

Read this:  FN - 72323 - Cisco IOS XE Software: QuoVadis Root CA 2 Decommission Might Affect Smart Licensing, Smart Call Home, and Other Functionality

Do Workaround 2.  It is non-disruptive. 

If neither workarounds are done, my guess is it would take about 6 to 8 months before the memory leak would look like the the picture below: 

3850 (4 x switches), Firmware version:  16.12.4, Uptime:  1y43w4d3850 (4 x switches), Firmware version: 16.12.4, Uptime: 1y43w4d

Doing now. Thanks very much. I see that it was fixed in 16.12, but then I lose the Wireless Controller functionality. 

Also, saved the complete webpage as well for cold backup. Incase Cisco ever feels like deleting that page in 5 years. xD

Workaround 2 should fix that memory leak for good, right? I would only have to do it again if I ever factory reset the switch, correct?

Thanks again. I can always count on the community to help a guy in need. 

Edit: Successfully implemented Workaround 2. Verified with show certificate command, and it is populated as shown in the guide. 

@IBowser wrote:
Workaround 2 should fix that memory leak for good, right?

Yes and no.  Yes, it will fix it but IOS-XE leaks like a sieve.  

It is rare for a stack of 3650/3850 to achieve an uptime of >1 year without any crashes if they run on 16.X.X.  I have a small fleet of stack that has an uptime of >4 years and they are all on 3.X.X.  My stack on 16.X.X needs to be regularly rebooted (about every 4 months).

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I think you mean lightweight IOS.
Yes your 3702 APs are supported - see the release notes.
As per the release notes https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-3/release_notes/ol-16-3-3850.html#pgfId-1265829 your APs will need 15.3(3)JPC11 lightweight IOS which they should download from the controller when they join.
If they currently have autonomous (k9w7) IOS then you'll need to install a lightweight image so that they can join and download the correct image.  The CA AP IOS images don't seem to be available to download so you could use JPI10 for example:
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/285029865/type/280775090/release/15.3.3-JPI10

Thank you. I have some that I've already loaded with Autonomous iOS for standalone use for myself, friends, and family, but some that still have the lightweight that I received them with. It would be awesome if the iOS version installed on them is already a later release than what is available. 

I'm really hoping I can get this set up properly. Gonna have to perusing the forums for a guide in getting Wifi Roaming and/or Fast Switching set up. I, as well as my dad, have very long houses that need multiple APs to get full coverage. Right now I have him set up with two APs, one labeled east, and one labeled west. Wifi Roaming would make it so much better. 

Thanks again. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Roaming is default for controller based APs but it depends what type of authentication you use on the WLAN.  There are some features for improving roaming performance - see:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-3/configuration_guide/b_163_consolidated_3850_cg.html
For general setup see @Rasika Nayanajith's guide at https://mrncciew.com/2013/12/04/wlan-config-in-3850-part-1/

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card