cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9120AXE for warehouse

Fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

There is a warehouse with a height of 14 meters, a width of 3 meters, and a row length of 105 meters.
I want to use C9120AXE-E and AIR-ANT2566P4W-R= per row.

Do you think the choices are correct? Can I run into any problems?

Is it right to use a internal directional antenna or external directional?

Note: I have 5520 WLC

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check some document warehouse wireless design :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/best-practice-warehouse-deployment/m-p/4267835

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you, I checked the information here

However, I could not find an answer to the questions I asked above. I am not sure about compatible antennas, is it ok to use in indoor warehouses?

Is directional antenna better or external ?

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To put it bluntly you cannot verify by just giving an AP model and antenna model here. It is compulsory that the AP model and antenna is decided only after a through site survey, possibly after a POC if the site is ready. If the site is not ready you can work on predictive heatmaps with different antennas to visualize the coverage pattern. 

It is also very important that you design the wireless for the least capable client, so you need to know what type of clients are going to connect and the business criticality for them. 

Regarding physical installation there are multiple factors you need to consider as well, such as where the AP will be mounted, if it has an external antenna where it will be mounted, how the UTP cable can be facilitated, POE requirements etc.

Now regarding your choice, I think it's good that you have selected 9120AXE as this will give you the flexibility to attach different antennas if the initial choice is wrong. If you are going to go with Cisco branded antennas, make sure that you select Self Identifying antennas. There are many other antenna's which are designed specifically to work in warehouse kind of deployments, if possible, check them out as well. (Ventev, Extronics, acceltex etc.) Also consider 9120AXP if you are planning to use high gain antennas. 

To answer your questions.

Do you think the choices are correct? Can I run into any problems? It depends, as I highlighted above make sure that you have access to correct information ti make the choice. 

Is it right to use a internal directional antenna or external directional? I personally prefer AP's with external antenna as this will give flexibility, so I can play around with antenna only incase of any issues. 

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Recommend a APOS survey be conducted to verify the coverage of the proposed antennas and mounting locations will work.

If requirement is to utilise Cisco branded antennas then the AIR-ANT2566D4M-R migth be a better choice given its narrower width.

If you dont need Cisco antennas just compatible antennas then Ventev (https://ventevinfra.com) have some nice antennas and mounting options available. Same with AccelTex (https://www.acceltex.com/)

I have utilised these at a -20/30 degree tilt mounted at 12-14m before in a warehouse with aisle widths of around 3-5 metres. Would definatly recommend utilising external directional antennas in aisle spaces within a warehouse given the nature of the stock levels to move around.

Around mounting the antenna, the other reason an APOS survey is good, as you can have the warehouse manager see where you are planning to install the antenna and they can verify they are happy with it, as i have found sometimes where you want the antenna to go will block their ability to access the stock on the top of the racking, or they will go in that location we have idiot forklift operators that when they start up they extend the fork to the highest it will go and dont look up and will hit them. Basically they know how the people in the warehouse operate and its easier to alter your design before cabling is installed.

Another thing to consider is POE requirements and cable runs, if you are restricted by the existing switch infrastructure, or existing comms cabinets then you may need to alter the AP/ antennas models to design around these.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Haydn, Thank you for your suggestions. I changed the antenna model following your advice.

Thank you for all the other details.

I have one more question, when I simulate the C9120AXE-E model with Ekahau, the wavelength (coverage) covers a very short area.
But when I simulate with the AP1562I-E model, I get a very large coverage area.

Should I reference this? Would the 1562 model AP-ler be a suitable choice for an area with a width of 3-5 meters and a length of 105 meters?

Below is the image of ekahau on the subject

Fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

I have one more question, when I simulate the C9120AXE-E model with Ekahau, the wavelength (coverage) covers a very short area.
But when I simulate with the AP1562I-E model, I get a very large coverage area.

Should I reference this? Would the 1562 model AP-ler be a suitable choice for an area with a width of 3-5 meters and a length of 105 meters?

mdm_depo_Signal_Strength.png

1562 is announced EOL, so better to go with 9120AXP or 9124AXE if required. Adjust the device offset properly to see the client behavior. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card