Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-CL 17.13.1 APs monitoring not showing APs

Clem58
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have a bug, when some APs are in downloading state I cannot see any APs in the monitoring tool:

We can see them into the Configuration Menu / Access Points

Clem58_1-1709120136107.png

But they are not Showing on Monitoring / Wireless / AP statistics

Clem58_0-1709120020687.png

Once the APs have downloaded the firmware they all appear back into the Monitoring tool.

That is a bit annoying because we will have a lot of APs downloading in the next weeks and we won't be able to check the status using Monitoring while we have users that will have only the Monitoring tools available (Readonly)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvv19190
                           https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs49211

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

pieterh
VIP
VIP

1) does this also happen with an account with full privileges ?
2) how did you limit the access to only AP monitoring?
2) can't you find those access points on the tab "join statistics" ?

you can also monitor the download/upgrade progress  on the administration -? software management page of the WLC
but I understand your monitoring users cannot access this page ?

1) Yes my account has full privileges
2) Access is limited only on Dashboard Monitoring in the Menu, for users with Privilege 1 right
3) I can see the join statistics

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvv19190
                           https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs49211

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Clem58
Level 3
Level 3

Many thanks Marce, so it's indeed a bug, and I don't see any resolution yet

- Indeed , in case of business need you will need to engage TAC , 

M.

Clem58
Level 3
Level 3

Ok I will see what I can do, thanks again !

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I wouldn't hold your breath - those bugs are a case study in the mess of 9800 development and software quality at the moment!

They have both been open for at least 3 years!  Between them they already have 5 customer TAC cases attached to them.
CSCvs49211 is tagged as Sev 6 Enhancement (meaning nice to have, but won't get worked on at all unless a very big influential customer makes a very strong business case to get it fixed).  But it's already been Terminated meaning they've consciously made the decision to NOT fix it.
CSCvv19190 is slightly newer (but still more than 3 years old).  This time TAC have opened it as a sev 3 (low priority) bug but at least they've recognised that it's a bug, not a feature enhancement, this time.  But then they've tagged it as Duplicate.  When they tag a bug as Duplicate then it should be linked to the bug it's a duplicate of because that's where you need to look to see if/when it's fixed.  But we don't know what it's supposed to be a duplicate of so can't check.  It might even have been a Duplicate of CSCvs49211 because they mentioned CSCvs49211 in the Further Problem Description. But if so. then it's not going to be fixed because CSCvs49211 is terminated.  The quality of the bug database seems to be deteriorating as fast as the software quality itself.

The fact that this problem has been around for so long and still not been fixed in 17.13.1 suggests that they have no intention of ever fixing it.  But if enough people open TAC cases about it and escalate through their account teams, then it might get back onto the developers' radar for fixing.  I'm shocked at how unconcerned they seem to be about things like this and it's such a basic thing!  Personally I rarely use the GUI at all because I find it slow and cumbersome and numerous bugs like this. So I use CLI all the time now.  It's not perfect but certainly you don't have rubbish things like this and most of the time it works really well.

Thanks Rich.

I agree this bug is annoying but not critical, the only thing is during APs are downloading, the people who have only monitoring access cannot see any AP status or statistics.

I will create a case with Cisco.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card