Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-L no package.conf file

olivier vigeant
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

some colleagues have setup 2 C9800-L in HA. Having a look at it, I saw they are still in bundle mode. So I wanted to move them to Install mode following the procedure (install add ...), but there is no package.conf in flash to set the boot. How can I solve this ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes the install creates the .conf file.  There were some bugs on older IOS with it not always being done properly but as long as you're using a new IOS as per TAC recommended below it should be fine.  But me and many others here would recommend avoiding using ISSU - then you are n times more likely to encounter weird and wonderful (=tricky to resolve) problems - the install script is a bit flaky.

Generally speaking you should never be creating the .conf file.  On occasion you might find a need to copy from a version named file (interim stage in the install process)  but it's quite sensitive to the contents being exactly right so best not to edit the file at all.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the GUI of the controller to upgrade in Install Mode.

olivier vigeant
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Leo,

will this create the package.conf need for the WLC to boot correctly after upgrade ? I don't want my WLCs to go to rommon.

Here is the current show boot

LAB-WLC-MAS#show boot
BOOT variable =
CONFIG_FILE variable =
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x102

Standby BOOT variable =
Standby CONFIG_FILE variable =
Standby BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Standby Configuration register is 0x102
LAB-WLC-MAS#

- You can always check the content of bootflash with dir bootflash: and check for presence of packages.conf  , also checkout : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/217050-convert-installation-mode-between-instal.html , if asserted as completed then you can :

9800-40(config)#no boot system 
9800-40(config)#do write
9800-40(config)#boot system bootflash:packages.conf
9800-40(config)#do write

(e.g.) Then echo verify your intended setting(s) with : 

9800-40# show boot 

- Whilst your at it you can also review the active controller configuration with  (CLI) show tech wireless , have it analyzed by https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/ (very useful!)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

conf t
 boot system flash bootflash:packages.conf
 config-registry 0x2102
end
wr

And then use the GUI to convert into Install Mode.

olivier vigeant
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, but my main problem is that I don't have package.conf in return of dir bootflash: , so this is what I get if I try to set the boot command with package.conf

LAB-WLC-MAS#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
LAB-WLC-MAS(config)#no boot system
LAB-WLC-MAS(config)#do write
Building configuration...
[OK]
LAB-WLC-MAS(config)#boot system bootflash:packages.conf
%Error parsing bootflash:/packages.conf (No such file or directory)
LAB-WLC-MAS(config)#

Will "package.conf" be created if I convert to Install Mode (either GUI or CLI) ?

If not, how can I have it created before convertion ?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes the install creates the .conf file.  There were some bugs on older IOS with it not always being done properly but as long as you're using a new IOS as per TAC recommended below it should be fine.  But me and many others here would recommend avoiding using ISSU - then you are n times more likely to encounter weird and wonderful (=tricky to resolve) problems - the install script is a bit flaky.

Generally speaking you should never be creating the .conf file.  On occasion you might find a need to copy from a version named file (interim stage in the install process)  but it's quite sensitive to the contents being exactly right so best not to edit the file at all.

olivier vigeant
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rich,

thanks, I'll go for it then. I'll let you know the result.

olivier vigeant
Level 1
Level 1

Worked perfectly, both WLCs from the HA cluster were upgraded at once, and moved to Install mode.. I already knew the command "install add ..." but was not sure about the package.conf creation, I'll keep note of this. 

Thanks to all of you for your help.

eisaza2
Level 1
Level 1

@olivier vigeant ,  I'm facing the same problem and finally I do not see the solution, can you help on it ??

@eisaza2

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

@Leo Laohoo , thanks for reply, I needed to pass from bundle to Install mode, but I already did it.

1. Make sure you're using the latest TAC recommended software version as per the link below - currently that is 17.9.4 + SMU_CSCwh87343 + APSP (as needed) OR 17.9.4a + APSP(as needed) for all deployments.

2. Follow the instructions: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-9/config-guide/b_wl_17_9_cg/m_upgrade_9800cl.html

Make sure you've upgraded to the latest ROMMON and firmware too otherwise the latest software may not work:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_upgrade_fpga_c9800.html

Remember to follow the correct upgrade path:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-9/release-notes/rn-17-9-9800.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_59a2987f-2633-4630-8c7b-a8e8aecdeaf7

If you're on very old software and the install script is failing it may be better to upgrade in bundle mode first and then convert to install mode.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card