Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 WLC upgrade and AP image predownload

iores
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to upgrade the WLC but I want to upload the image to the WLC and APs first, and then perform the reboot in a few days. 

Is that possible? I have never done this so I don't know what to expect. What are the exact steps? 

2 Replies 2

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, it is. In the GUI, check the "AP Image Predownload" box (other options will disappear), upload the software file, and click "Download & Install".

eglinsky2012_0-1703956440341.png

That will stage the new software on the controller (both controllers if it's in HA), which takes several minutes, and predownload the code to the APs (the time for that depends how many and of what model your APs are and how fast the connection is between the AP and the WLCs).

Once that's done, a blue button to activate the software will appear. You can wait until your maintenance window and that will reboot the controller and APs. Once it's back up, go back to the software page and click the blue Commit button. (By default, there's rollback timer, so if you don't commit, everything will reboot back to the old code at that time.)

I'd suggest doing the download and install during off hours, just in case the install goes haywire and reboots the WLC without you telling it to activate. This hasn't happened to me, but with Cisco code these days, anything's possible.

For anyone else reading this, I think the predownload method is the best one to use currently, even if you have multiple/HA controllers. ISSU has a lot of problems, which has been discussed several times here, and now even Hitless does as Leo Laohoo recently reported. Predownload is simple and has been done since AireOS. With simplicity (generally) comes reliability.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@iores wrote:
I want to upload the image to the WLC and APs first, and then perform the reboot in a few days. 

In Install Mode?  Yes, it can be done. 

There is a "NSFW" (aka, not "recommended" by Cisco) method to do the Install Mode, using the "install add file", and schedule the reboot at a later date without using DNAC or PI.  

It is "NSFW" not because it is not documented officially by Cisco.  I call it "NSFW" because once the command is entered, no one should touch the keyboard after that.  I will explain this shortly.

IMPORTANT: 

• Read and understand the steps below first.  
  • I call the following method the "one-hit-wonder" because I am going to combine all three process (unpacking, commit and activate) in one "go". 

Install Mode (NSFW + One-Hit-Wonder-NSFW) Steps:

1.  Copy the (firmware) file into the WLC.  For VSS WLC, just copy the file into the Active WLC.

2.  Invoke the command:  

install add file bootflash:filename.bin activate commit 

WARNING:  DO NOT TOUCH THE KEYBOARD

3.  About three minutes into the process, the system will pause and ask a "y/n" question.  It is of the utmost importance the operator must press "N" or "n".   (Press any key other than the "n" or "N" and it can potentially cause the switch stack to continue the process and reboot.)

4.  About 2 minutes after pressing the "N" or "n", the process will come to an abrupt halt.  This is to be expected.

5a.  Enter the command "dir flash:*.conf" (or change"flash:" into "bootflash:").

5b.  (VSS)  Enter the command "dir bootflash-2:*.conf" (or use "stby-bootflash:").

6.  In steps 5a &/or 5b, pay attention to two files in particular, they are:  packages.conf and the "destination.conf" file.  The destination file is the firmware to upgrade to, example if I was upgrading to 17.9.4a, the file would be called C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.09.04a.SPA.conf (9800-80) or C9800-L-universalk9_wlc.17.09.04a.SPA.conf (9800-L).

7a.  Rename the existing packages.conf file to be something else: 

rename bootflash:packages.conf bootflash:packages.conf.00-

7b.  (VSS) 

rename stby-bootflash:packages.conf stby-bootflash:packages.conf.00-

or 

rename bootflash-2:packages.conf bootflash-2:packages.conf.00-

or

rename stby-bootflash:packages.conf bootflash-2:packages.conf.00-

8a  Copy or Rename the destination file to be the new packages.conf file:  

copy bootflash:C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.09.04a.SPA.conf bootflash:packages.conf

8b (VSS)  

copy stby-bootflash:C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.09.04a.SPA.conf stby-bootflash:packages.conf

or

copy bootflash-2:C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.09.04a.SPA.conf bootflash-2:packages.conf

or

RENAME stby-bootflash:C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.09.04a.SPA.conf bootflash-2:packages.conf

9a. Confirm the contents of the "packages.conf" are pointing to the correct destination firmware version: 

more bootflash:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

9b. VSS

more bootflash-2:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

or

more bootflash-2:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

or

more stby-bootflash:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

11.  Make sure the boot variable string points to "packages.conf" using the command "sh boot".  

12.  Save and reboot (at a later date). 

13.  Do not forget to clean up the flash.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card