cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can A 1252 AP run autonomously?

polleyjb01
Level 1
Level 1

I need to do a site survey using my wireless "N" AP.  The AP is a Cisco 1252G.

Is there any way I can make the AP broadcast an ssid without plugging it into the network and having it join the wireless controller?

I will mount the AP in a hallway were there is no wall jack to plug it into. That is why I need it to run the AP by its self

10 Replies 10

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Autonomous AP mode means.. the AP doesnt require a WLC.. where in it should be connected to any switchport and also powered up as well.. by doing so the AP will broadcast the SSID after configuring. However, if you do not connect to the network and if you still want to see the SSID, then connect the ethernet port of your laptop to the AP and power it up and then configure the same and then you can see the SSID.. but it will let any clients to connect since its not in the network and no DHCP configured..

Lemme know if this answered your question or reply back you need clarity explaning your expectations..

Regards

Surendra

====

Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

I need some clarity

Ok, so if I plugg my laptop into the AP's eithernet jack, and power it, I can configure the AP to broadcast an SSID? How would I do that?

I also have a access to the console port. I'm somwhat expericed with configuring switches but I would be a little lost when trying to configure the AP through command promt.

Hi,

>> Ok, so if I plugg my laptop into the AP's eithernet jack, and power  it, I can configure the AP to broadcast an SSID? How would I do that?

ANS - Plugging the LAPTOP to AP using ethernet cable is for connectivity.. then powering the AP is done by connecting the External power adapter to the AP.. then access the console port by console cable  and then configure the AP using CLI for a SSID.

>> I  also have a access to the console port. I'm somwhat expericed with  configuring switches but I would be a little lost when trying to  configure the AP through command promt.

ANS - Here is the configuration guide for configuring the AP using CLI..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap1-overview.html

Here is the simple config which you can configure the AP from the console access

en

conf t

dot11 ssid

authentication open

guest-mode

end

int dot11 0

ssid

end

This will help you to broadcast the SSID..

Lemme know if this answered your question... or reply back if u need some more info..

Regards

Surendra

====

Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

The only question I have is, why do I need to plug my laptop into the AP eithernet port?

I need to be able to walk around to different rooms with my laptop to do the wireless site survey.

ok.. its just for the connectivity.. if the FA port goes down, then the BVI goes down as well.. if the BVI goes down then the radio goes down.. since you are not connecting this to the network..

Lemme know if this answered your question... or reply back if u need some more info..

Regards

Surendra

====

Regards
Surendra BG

interesting, I guess I can find another computer....maybe to plug it into so I can keep the eithernet port up

Yes!! ur correct...

Regards

Surendra

===

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts which answered your question or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

I read through the link you gave me and tried the sample commands. The sample commands didn't work though. I typed

in en and then the password and thats as far as I got.

conf t doesn't work. I tried config t aswell. I tried int dot11/ dot11 too but it doesn't know these commands.

IF you issue the command show version to verify the image running on the AP and you see something like

k9w8, then the AP is working in light weight mode and accordingly you need to convert it back to autonomous

mode,

The following link explains how to convert the AP from lighweight mode to autonomous mode:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

ok.. then your AP in in LWAPP mode.. please convert the same from LWAPP to Autonomous using the below link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Lemme know how this helps..

Regards

Surendra
====

Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question or was helpful

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card