cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Cisco AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 be used in standalone mode?

smunzani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are trying to deploy AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 with 5508 controller. However the controller is back order and we don't want to delay our site survey. Can we use the AP in stand alone mode for the site survey? We don't need it to operate or pass traffic. As long as it can power it self that's detected by Ekahau Site survey tool, I am fine. I can power it through a PoE switch.

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

You can use it as a regular autonomous AP without restrictions. Yould need to download this code and convert it from CAPWAP to Autonomous IOS:

ap3g1-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA.tar

You can find instructions how to do conversion on Cisco's site

View solution in original post

Nevermind, it is not supported officially by TAC, but you can load that autonomous image on it for survey purposes.

Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

You can use it as a regular autonomous AP without restrictions. Yould need to download this code and convert it from CAPWAP to Autonomous IOS:

You can find instructions how to do conversion on Cisco's site

I found the image. However the instructions are for autonomous To Lightweight Mode Upgrade Image-12.4.23c-JA2 only. I have yet to find instructions for other way. Does that mean the AP comes in autonomous mode out of the box?

Thanks,

Nevermind, it is not supported officially by TAC, but you can load that autonomous image on it for survey purposes.

Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

Hi Can somesdasdbody help my? im triyng to convert my Cisco Air-cap-3502i-a-k9 into autonomus AP but i cant find this ap3g1-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA.tar on cisco web page. 

do you know which of this ios are the correct one? 15.2 or 15.3? 

As long as the image has K9W7, that is autonomous. K9W8 is lightweight.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yes please

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roman's right.  The autonomous IOS of the 3500 is only available as for site-survey purposes only.  It's not meant to be for wireless service.

To convert the AP from lightweight to autonomous, try this:

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

heheh I think I got that info from one of your previous posts

No worries Roman. 

The URL posted by leolaohoo doesn't mention 3502 but I assume same process would apply to 3502? As far as the IOS is concerned, I can see only two files in CCO for this AP.

ap3g1-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA.tar                   <= Use this for conveting to standalone mode?

ap3g1-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA2.tar            <= Use this for reverting back to LAP mode?

Thanks,

Sam

Ok!! lets generalize... 3500 series APs IOS image is only for Site survey not for usage..

Lemme know if this answered  ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Understood it loud and clear. My need is only for site survey. 5508 controller is on its way but its 2+ week back ordered. I want to use the time now to do the site survey and do the wiring so when controller arrives, its matter of roll out. I have no intention to even route any traffic while the AP in standalone mode. As long as it sends wireless waves that can be detected by Ekahau site survey software, I am good.

The URL posted by leolaohoo doesn't mention 3502 but I assume same process would apply to 3502?

That's correct.  The process will fit any AP as long as it says "Cisco" (Linksys is not included).

This is the autonomous IOS TAR file that you need to rename as per my instructions.

eoinwhite
Level 1
Level 1

When its converted to standalone mode will it also pass traffic and operate as a standalone 1142 ?

(Obvoiously you loose the clean-air, this is just a temporary scenario im in)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card