cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't upgrade C9120 EWC mode firmware, "FAILED: install_add"

train00wreck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I recently aquired a Catalyst 9120 access point. After purchase and activation of Smartnet I converted it to the EWC mode using firmware version 17.9.5. I am trying to upgrade the firmware to 17.12.3. I go to the web interface to Administration - Software Management, and put the selected files for controller image and AP image and then i hit "save and download". Eventually, the error log gives me the following error:

FAILED: install_add : Default profile addition failed due to no response from wireless side

Any idea what this means? I am trying to do the upgrade from PC on the ethernet side of the AP, so I'm not sure why it says it is failing because of the "wireless side"....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

So it's probably no surprise for you to hear that Cisco has discontinued EWC on the latest AP models ...

These problems with EWC upgrades are quite common in my experience <smile>
You might manage to get it upgraded some other way but the only guaranteed route to success for me is:
1. Use https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/217537-repairing-c9120-c9115-access-points-from.html procedure to do a factory default CAPWAP install of 8.10.130.0 on the AP.
2. Upgrade to https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322988/type/286288051/release/15.3.3-JPK8 (17.6.7)
3. Convert and upgrade to 17.12.3 EWC.

Obviously you should backup your config before ever starting on an upgrade so that you can restore it once done <smile>

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a checkup of the EWC controller configuration first with the CLI command show tech wireless 
     and feed the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer
    At least all errors red flagged in the wlc-checkresults tab should be corrected first , then try the upgrade again , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you connecting using wireless to same AP and upgrading, may be i am thinking that is the issue.

Try console or ethernet side and upgrade and check.

Other option i had same issue, factory reset and upgrade using TFTP works, if not major config in it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

*sigh*.... people, please read my post.

I am trying to do the upgrade from PC on the ethernet side of the AP, so I'm not sure why it says it is failing because of the "wireless side"...

- The particular message is related to the intended wireless configuration and has nothing to do with the fact that you are trying an upgrade from your PC (confusing indeed) , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Another option is to save the running-config of the EWC AP to an external repository , write erase 
    then execute the upgrade on a maiden device and import the running configuration again afterwards , 

M.

train00wreck
Level 1
Level 1

Gotta say, my experience with my first Cisco access point isn't positive.... after the failed upgrade, a bunch of stuff doesn't work now. IPv6 is broken for all wireless clients (the access point doesn't forward neighbor soliciations), i can't access the SSH/HTTP interface from the wireless side (i used to be able to before the failed upgrade), the HTTP interface says there are 0 access points and 0 radios..... wow. Probably going to have to factory reset. Fantastic....

Rich R
VIP
VIP

So it's probably no surprise for you to hear that Cisco has discontinued EWC on the latest AP models ...

These problems with EWC upgrades are quite common in my experience <smile>
You might manage to get it upgraded some other way but the only guaranteed route to success for me is:
1. Use https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/217537-repairing-c9120-c9115-access-points-from.html procedure to do a factory default CAPWAP install of 8.10.130.0 on the AP.
2. Upgrade to https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322988/type/286288051/release/15.3.3-JPK8 (17.6.7)
3. Convert and upgrade to 17.12.3 EWC.

Obviously you should backup your config before ever starting on an upgrade so that you can restore it once done <smile>

Thanks, i ended up doing a full 20s mode button reset and then did the conversion/upgrade to 17.12.3. I guess "discontinuing" EWC means there won't be any security updates after some time? So my option then would be to either buy a WLC or switch to a different AP. 

Updates for EWC will follow the same lifetime as the WLC updates for those software versions and the APs themselves - no change to that.  You can find those in the End of Sale notices for each product and release.  No end of sale announced for 9120 yet. 17.9 EOS is already announced: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-17/ios-xe-17-9-x-eol.html 17.12 will probably be announced after 17.15 has been released towards the end of 2024.

Discontinued just means EWC is not possible/available at all on the newer AP models.

ps: I didn't realise there is a specific EOL notice for EWC on AP:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/wireless-ewc-access-point-eol.html
Take note: "There is no replacement available for the Cisco Wireless Embedded Wireless Controller (EWC) on Access Point at this time. Customers who have deployed EWC-based access points are encouraged to convert them to lightweight (CAPWAP) mode and use a physical C9800-L wireless LAN controller (WLC) or virtual C9800-CL controller (“Ultralow” profile) beyond the support dates mentioned in product bulletin. For future deployment customers are encouraged to deploy the Cisco Meraki native cloud offerings."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card