Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT3850 doesn´t accept access point

edgar.reinke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I started to discover the new CAT3850 switch and it seems to be that I fail with a basic setup: I am not able to terminate the CAPWAP tunnel from an Access Point (3502E) on the CAT3850.

The AP is directly connected to the switch. I am using VLAN10 (192.168.1.0/24) and an interface VLAN10 (192.168.1.1) which is the WLAN management interface as well. The CAT3850 provides the IP address via DHCP for the AP. A simple setup ...

The strange thing is, that the AP gets an IP address, the CAPWAP conversation starts and ends up with the following message:

*Apr 21 06:24:33.773: %IOSXE-3-PLATFORM: 1 process wcm: *spamReceiveTask: %LWAPP-3-AP_LICENSE_REQUEST_ERR: License request failed for AP b8:be:bf:14:ee:20 - AP License Request timedout, ensure MC link is up, Resettting AP       

After that the conversation starts from the scratch. On the CLI of the AP I can see that the AP fails to download the image (it is stucked in the image phase).

I am using the 50 AP evalutaion licenese. Therefore, it should not be a problem of having no licenses.

Any ideas? The documentation for configure and troubleshoote the wireless part of the CAT3850 is really "thin" ...

Thanks in advance,

Edgar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Top of my head I'd say MA, based on the debug messages.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this 3850 in MC mode?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good point Steve ... I have to double check this. I only have taken the CAT3850 out of the box and I have configured some basics things (VLANs, SSID etc.). But I didn´t check the mode. Do you know which one is the default mode or do I have to bring in some CLI commands to tell the switch which mode I want to have?

I will start my lab again on tuesday and than I can post my answer.

Thanks,

Edgar

Top of my head I'd say MA, based on the debug messages.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Steve,

I want to give you my feedback. You have been absolutely right. The CAT3850 runs per Default in MA Mode. After activating MC and rebooting the switch the access points get registered.

Thanks,

Edgar

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card