Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNA Wireless LAB - Right Hardware

ITexpert
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Guys,

I am looking to buy this WLC and one AP. 

My motive is to test the Wireless DYnamic Vlan assignment to regular users and guest users with one SSID.

Please advice if this is the right equipment to test my lab.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Grade-A-Cisco-Wireless-LAN-Controller-4400-series-AIR-WLC4402-50-K9/122993141373?hash=item1ca2f6667d:g:xuEAAOSwCDBalujI

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CISCO-AIR-AP1142N-A-K9-access-point/112844231344?hash=item1a460a52b0:g:dUYAAOSweehamCkY

If anybody knows link where i  can get more good deal, please comment.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Looks fine to me. Please note that the 4400 WLC series is End of Life, but it's fine for just testing. I wouldn't buy the 1142 AP series, they have a bug with old certificates. Try to get an AP 3502, they are generally better.
You will also need a radius server, freeradius under Linux is free for example.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Looks fine to me. Please note that the 4400 WLC series is End of Life, but it's fine for just testing. I wouldn't buy the 1142 AP series, they have a bug with old certificates. Try to get an AP 3502, they are generally better.
You will also need a radius server, freeradius under Linux is free for example.

Oh forgot one more detail. Try to get a 2504 WLC, they run the same code as the 4404, but are way more silent (don't have a fan I think), whereas the 4404 is built for datacenters and is noisy!

2504 is very expensive on ebay and choice is less too. 4400 series is highly available.

Do freelinux Radius integrate with Active directory like NPS ?

Do Cisco ISE Integrate with Active directory like NPS ?

Thanks

No idea about freeradius, but yes, ISE does that. ISE is fairly expensive though. You do get a free 90 day test license though.
If you have an NPS and know it already, use NPS.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card