Views
Helpful
Replies

change dhcp to static on APs

joanaschw
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody
a few weeks ago I faced a major breakdown in the network because of a failure on the DHCP server.
After a unpredictable power outage the APs came up and they couldn't contact the DHCP. Because this service is controlled by another team that refuses to provide redundancy!!! I decide to set manually the AP's to static IP.

In the WLC, Wireless, AP, General - IP, click on static. the AP is intelligent enough to inherit the DHCP ip and kept the same info about ip, netmask, dg and DNS. 

this is a tedious job and I would like to create a background task on Cisco Prime to set the IP's to static. I couldn't find a way to do it with Cisco Prime and I'm wondering how could we achieve this with a script or maybe with a different approach.

Cheers

J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

This is not simple task actually. On the  Prime Lighweight AP Templates, could exist a check box for "Static IP address" just like we see on the WLC, but it has not.

The way I´d do this, If I had to, is create an script with the command "config ap static-ip enable Cisco_AP ip_address mask gateway" and run this on the WLC cli 

But, I´d prefer keep it DHCP.  After all, if you had an massive DHCP problem, clients will suffer as well. I mean, what it worth to have AP working if clients had not IP address.   One thing thing you can do is ask DHCP guys to extend Access Points DHCP lease to a larger interval possible, to avoid then to need constant renewing.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally i would not recommend having static IP address,

Rather I will invest more redundant  DHCP Servers or Co-locate which you can maintain the DHCP Servers.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

This is not simple task actually. On the  Prime Lighweight AP Templates, could exist a check box for "Static IP address" just like we see on the WLC, but it has not.

The way I´d do this, If I had to, is create an script with the command "config ap static-ip enable Cisco_AP ip_address mask gateway" and run this on the WLC cli 

But, I´d prefer keep it DHCP.  After all, if you had an massive DHCP problem, clients will suffer as well. I mean, what it worth to have AP working if clients had not IP address.   One thing thing you can do is ask DHCP guys to extend Access Points DHCP lease to a larger interval possible, to avoid then to need constant renewing.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Flavio et al.

I agree with the DHCP is better approach, although in some cases that we do not control this server is fast if we set the IP to static for a while.

Unfortunatelly Cisco Prime doesn't have that option and that's why I opened this thread.

Thank you all for the inputs.

J.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card