Level 1

Cisco 1240AG converting to WEP to WPA

Access Point Model: Cisco 1240AG

System Software Filename: c1240-k9w7-tar.123-7.JA5

System Software Version: 12.3(7)JA5

Bootloader Version: 12.3(7)JA1

Access Point Model: Cisco 1131AG

Software: Cisco Aironet Desktop Utility 2.1.02

After converting encryption from WEP to WPA in a Cisco 1240AG in personal mode with an SSID name of example1 and Cisco 1131AG access point in personal mode with an ssid of example2; both with the same wpa passphrase, I created a new profile on the Cisco Aironet Desktop Utility with a new profile name as well as a WPA passphrase, but the desktop utility will only connect to the access point if one network name, example1 or example2, is entered. If two network names are included in the utility:

ssid1: example1

ssid2: example2

It will not connect to either of the access points. Do you have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

18 Replies 18

Yes, I see the problem, but I thought the Cisco Aironet utility would be able to switch to ssid2: EXAMPLE2, if it loses the signal from ssid1: example1.

Good question.

Most supplicants, do a good job roaming with the same SSID , also called seamless roaming. When you mix the SSID names and or security settings its like having an entirely different network segment. Most if not all clients don't do these seamlessly. Eventually, most will connect, but thats not before it breaks and gives up trying on the orignal SSID is was configure for.

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes, what you stated makes perfect sense so I decided to change the Cisco 1131AG ssid 1 name to the same as the Cisco 1230AG to make the transition easier on the client adapter when the signal quality decreases. I do believe this has solved my problem. 

Key thing to remember, make sure your WLAN config is identical and you have the same layer 3 behind each access point. This will provide seamless roaming. If you plan on doing Enterprise 802.1X that is an entirely different ball game and WDS would need to be deployed.

Remeber to rate helpful post ! Stop back if you still have questions!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin