cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1941W - WISP mode / WISP + AP mode?

Mikolaj Moryto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have been wondering if there was or is a way to configure 1941W router to connect to existing wireless network and act as a router with NAT using that wireless connection for the internet with NAT so I can have extra devices connected to it and being able to connect to internet over wireless network which 1941 is connected to? Also, if possible, not only connecting to the existing network on the WAN side but also broadcasting another wireless network on the LAN side? Since it has two dot11 interfaces maybe it would be possible as well but more important part is the WISP mode and connecting to the existing network with 1941 acting as a wireless client.

I have been looking for something I can setup and while travelling I can use it to connect to hotspot network and have my own devices connecting to my box instead of hotspot network. I thought about 1941W as last step would be to set up VPN on it so it connects to my hub router somewhere else and tunnel all the traffic to internet through it.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Hello

I would say is possible because of this information on the data sheet

Radio roles, including access point, root bridge, non-root bridge, and workgroup bridge

The feature you are calling out is workgroup bridge, which gives the router the hability of connect to a wifi network as client

But I never did it.  But if have the router we can try.

Thank you! I may have one of 1941W around so I will give it a try.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

So as Flavio says that is theoretically possible but requires specific AP/WLC configuration to work with a Cisco controller. Connecting to any guest hotspot WiFi it might work and it might not (not to mention the difficulties you will have with getting the router logged in to guest WiFi).  I would not waste your time carrying a router around trying to do that.  There's software that will allow you to do the same with your laptop - other clients are hidden behind the laptop IP and MAC address so avoids all the problems with multiple MAC addresses and workgroup bridging.  And then no need to carry the router around with you.

Thank you! I responded above that I may be able to try to set it up but if not I will try to play with such software.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card