cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 wireless controller can support 1552E access point?

Dear all,

I am little bit confused about cisco 2504 wireless controller, is it support cisco 1552E outdoor access point?

If NO please provide me the correct series/model.

Advance Thanks,

Anwar Hossain

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mohammad,

Yes. I agree with amjat's statement. 1550 model WAP is a supported controller model WAP which we can use as a mesh access point. If you look @ the link in the very first page itself it show this category as controller supported model. whatevr it matters 25xx or 55xx model the controller supports 1550 model WAP. Please see the below attached image.

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mohammad,

Yes. You can have the AIR-CAP1552E used in the controller environment which is basically a 802.11abgn Mesh Access Points.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/product_data_sheet0900aecd80537b6a.html#wp9005800

By

Karthik

Dear Karthik,

Thanks for your information but I am not clear on this, please if you have any other information above subject reply back.

(like which controller support which access point).

Thanks,

Anwar Hossain

Salam Mohammad,

Access point - WLC compatibility is not usually a hardware issue. It is a software issue.

You can't find in either 2500 or 1550 data sheets what APs or WLCs supported. However, you can check the release notes for the software version that you want to use and you can find if it supports both the WLC and the AP or not.
If, for example, we pick up software versoin 7.0.220.0, you can find in the release note that it is supported on both 2500 controllers and it supportes 2500. So, if the 2500 controller can run 7.0.220.0 then it should support the 1550 Access points.

7.0.220.0 release notes: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps11630/data_sheet_c78-645111.html

With some AP data sheets, the software versoin that is supprted is metnioned. Howeber, with 1550 datasheet is is not metnioned. This indicates it is not a hardware dependent and you need to check if the running software to make sure about compatibility.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Mohammad,

Yes. I agree with amjat's statement. 1550 model WAP is a supported controller model WAP which we can use as a mesh access point. If you look @ the link in the very first page itself it show this category as controller supported model. whatevr it matters 25xx or 55xx model the controller supports 1550 model WAP. Please see the below attached image.

By

Karthik

Dear all,

I got the idea thanks for your support, then I will be going with this controller and access point.

Thanks

Anwar Hossain

Karthik:

I don't know how the compliance doc indicates that the WLC 2500 and 1550 are compatible? the screenshot you provided does not indicate what WLC supports what AP. It only shows the regulatory domain compatibility but it does not specify with which WLC (software or hardware) an access point model is supported.

For example, 1200, 1230 and 1000 series APs are not supported with 7.2 code versoin. How can I see this from the compliance page?

I think the release notes is the safest doc to check for the compatibility besides the data sheet of both product.

HTH

Amjad

Hi Amjad,

Your question typically confused me but however that model supports with 2504 WLC. But there is limitation in client associations with 1500 access points with 2504 controller.

WLC 2504 Configuration Guide:

Client Association Limits for Lightweight Access Points

The Per-AP limits are as follows:

For 16-MB APs, the limit is 128 clients per AP.  This limit is applicable to 1100 and 1200 series APs.

For 32-MB and higher APs, there is no per-AP limit.

The per-radio limits are as follows:

For all Cisco IOS APs, the limit is 200 associations per radio.

For all 1000 and 1500 series APs, which are not supported beyond release 4.2, the limit is 250 associations per radio.

With 32-MB and higher lightweight Cisco IOS APs, with two radios, up to 200 + 200 = 400 associations are supported.

Configuration Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_controller_setting.html

Further to this mohammed you can also check the release notes and technical documentation to valuate further as suggested by Amjad. Else we can put this with the Cisco itself to get this clarified.

By

Karthik

Karthik:

Well, the 1550 is having 32 MB memory.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/at_a_glance_c45-636090.pdf

which means (as per the info you pasted) it has no limit for the clients.

Besides, The statement that says:

With 32-MB and higher lightweight Cisco IOS APs, with two radios, up to 200 + 200 = 400 associations are supported.

It probably indicates 1500 series APs not 1550. 1000 series and 1500 Mesh series are obsolete. 1500 APs includes for example 1505 mesh AP.

1520 and 1550 APs are on different series than 1500.

Just like the 1000 series. It is different than 1100 series.
There is 1010 AP that belongs to 1000 series while there is 1120 AP that belongs to 1100 series.

HTH

Amjad

Hi Amjad,

Appreciate your deep dive & it is true!!! :-). Mohammed hope this helps you to proceed.

But check once again with cisco or vendor if you have any direct contact.

By

Karthik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: