cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2802i LAG issues

hisham683
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to Deploy new 2802i Access points. Supposedly they are LAG capable when plugging in both POE and AUX ports and can detect LACP etherchannels. They are connected to a 3650 POE+ switch.

For some reason they won't come up if I configure Etherchannels on my switch. When I make the etherchannel LACP, I get the error that it's not LACP capable and suspends the ports. If I do static etherchannels, the switch won't complain but the APs never join the controller because for some reason they don't seem to get an IP.

The only way for them to come up is to only have the POE port plugged in and no port channel configurations what so ever. I'm hoping to leverage both ports.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

13 Replies 13

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/1850_DG/b_Cisco_Aironet_Series_1850_Access_Point_Deployment_Guide.html

Are you setting this up as a standalone or lightweight AP on a WLC? If on a WLC you may need the command config ap lag-mode support enable

Cisco also recommends that the switch ports are setup in active mode as you already have and use src-dst-port algorithm.

From the WLC you can verify the AP LAG mode with show ap lag-mode

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried all these configurations yes. The Access points still refuse to form a LAG if I etherchannel the ports.

At this point they are working off of the POE port only. Thanks

Finally got on with TAC. Apparently LAG had to manually enabled on the access points using the command "capwap ap lag enable".

The AP will reboot and then be able to join a port channel on both POE and AUC ports. LACP came up fine.

Thanks

Thanks for coming back and posting the fix, it really helps!

Don't we need to use command on the controller "config ap lag-mode support enable <ap name>" to manually enable on the access point?

As per hesham's reply try capwap ap lag enable as well if the first command doesn't work.

So this command has to be entered on the access point by enabling ssh?

I think so, ssh or telnet. You may need to use the command debug capwap console enable to permit that command (not sure as haven't tried it).

Cheers,

Ric

We need both commands. config ap lag-mode support  on the WLC, and also need to ssh into the AP and enter capwap ap lag enable.

So we'll need to enable ssh or telnet on the AP as well in order to enter those commands

On the switchport side the ports can will be in LACP port channel and the load balancing will be set to src-dst port

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply.

1. Does entering "config ap lag-mode support enable" on the WLC affects or reboots other WAPs that does not support lag?

cis0000011
Level 1
Level 1

Do not forget to set this on the connect cisco switch also:

Quote from: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-3800-series-access-points/200898-Link-aggregation-on-1800-2800-3800-AP.html

For load balancing on the LAG ports to the AP and the controller, the switch should support load balancing on the layer 4 (L4) source and destination ports. Run the following command from the switch config mode.

port-channel load-balance src-dst-port

If one doesn't configure L4 port load balancing (for example when using a switch model which does not support this feature) then the port channel will still come up but all the traffic will go through the same port. One will not have 2 gigabits of speed but there will be redundancy.

after entering capwap ap lag enable...  how does one SAVE the product so that when the AP is moved to the proper interface pair.. (power down) it remember when powered back up?  

MY AP was BAD. Lots of "DP ERR>22>mv_dp_msg_check..."_ entries in the console dump. When on the PC port, it would not negotiate POE
" Waiting for POE negotiation to complete" and then fail to retrieve IP.
I confirmed with an 1852, 3802 and another 2802 that guidance in TAC document 200898 works as advertised. And no it doesn't work on a 3750, just singles up.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card