cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3702i web GUI won't update settings properly

IBowser
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I'm having a similar problem to another thread, but it's fairly old, and I didn't want to resurrect a dead thread. 
(For reference, the discussion thread is at Cisco CAP3702i Web Gui Does Not Work

I have a CAP3702i that has been flashed with the Autonomous iOS. Version 15.3(3)JPK. It is the k9w7 autonomous .tar image, and was installed via the Mode button and a local TFTP server. 

The main problem I am having is that some settings under the Web GUI will not save to the AP. Some stuff works, but other stuff does not. For example. I am able to create an SSID under the SSID Manager, assign it to a radio, and save it. However, when I go to set the Single Guest Mode SSID for that radio to the new SSID, it will not update. I click 'Apply', it goes through it's things, but then when it reloads the page, the setting has not been enabled. I have tried in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, same thing every time. 

I know that it is physically able to do it. I can access the AP through Telnet and/or SSH and run the command to enable the Guest Mode as my test SSID, and I have confirmed it's working, but I would really like the WebGUI to work properly. 

I have read elsewhere that the problem is solved with a downgrade in the iOS, I think I read that the JH (I think) software doesn't have this issue, but I really don't want to downgrade. I know that the latest iOS software versions have the WPA vulnerability fix that was discovered a year or so ago. I think the JH software was released before that came about. 

Any help would be awesome. Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@IBowser wrote:

Version 15.3(3)JPK

"JPK" only with no other number at the end means a version "0".  

Try updating the firmware to something more recent.

This is the version I installed. It's the latest version on the Cisco Support site. Released November 30th, 2020. 

Cisco 3702 Wireless Release 15.3.3-JPK ED

JPK means 17.2.1. 

This is still "significant" because JPK/17.2.1 is a single-release only.  "So what" you might ask.  In summary, "single-release" means a potential buggy version. 

Try other versions like JI6 or JK4 release.

Ahh. I think I understand. The numbers signify minor updates to that particular line of updates. So even when they release a newer "line" of updates, they may still go back and improve on the older "lines". Basically, JPK is the first of that iteration of firmwares, whereas JPI7 is the seventh iteration of the JPI line. 

I'm installing a older, but more iterated firmware now. JPJ4.

NOTE:  The comment is not "aimed" to offend you. 

Look at the codes I've recommended:  JI6 or JK4.  Two letters in the prefix and a number at the end.  Use that as a "guide" and stay there.  Avoid, if possible, firmware with three letters.

Look at the number at the end.  The higher the number, the better.  Anything higher than "4" is good.  

You're good. I had similar issues with JPJ4, including unable to create new Users within the GUI. Any name I put in would change to $textUser as the username. 

I unfortunately don't have access to JI6 or JK4, but I have JI5. I'm trying that one now. 

I appreciate the help. 

JI5 was still having issues. I'm not sure if it's the same base issue or not, but whenever I would try to apply a setting, it would say Error 404. I couldn't create any new Users under Admin Access, and I couldn't even 'Reset to Defaults' under System Configuration. It would all give a 404 error. 

I then tried JF12 and was getting the same 404 errors whenever I would try to save and apply any setting changes. 

My current AP (1262) has been running JD16 and has been stable with no issues, so I got the equivalent ap3g2 JD16 software and it seems to finally be acting correctly. I was able to create a new User in Admin Access, enable the radios, enable encryption levels, set up and SSID, and set that SSID as guest broadcast. 

I would love to hear why the more recent versions of Cisco iOS are having such an issue. I would like to run the later, more up to date versions, but I can't when the webGUI flat out doesn't work. Is it Cisco just neglecting the autonomous iOS firmware since I the majority of their clients probably use Wireless Controllers with Lightweight APs?

From my experience, things can always break and the latest or the few of the latest versions can be problematic. I’m not saying all the time, but this is a reason many stay away from upgrading to a code train until at least v3 or v4. In your case, you had issues with a v4, so that rule of thumb would not of helped you. Autonomous UI was always problematic and slow. Probably why many used the cli and was really efficient on that. It is also suggested to learn and familiarize your self with the cli because it can be faster to make changes and very reliable. UI was really to get folks whom was comfortable with home style devices to use these access points, but in the end, they had to learn the cli to really succeed.
If you also looked at the latest version for the 2504 controller as an example, the UI was missing the picture of the controller itself. Now how could that of happened, who knows.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yeah, I know the CLI is more capable, but WebGUIs are just nice in that they have alot of the information in easy to digest form. At a glance, I can see if the radios are up, the number of clients connected as well as their respective IPs, and the AP uptime for example. I've been tooling around the CLI during all this, and I still can't find which item and subitem the User Management is. 

Autonomous AP IOS is effectively end of life: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-3700-series/eos-eol-notice-c51-740710.html

End of SW Maintenance Releases Date: The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software. April 29, 2020

So those GUI bugs will never be fixed. Any update after 29-04-2020 is purely and only for security reasons.

IOS AP GUI has never been great and anyone who uses autonomous APs professionally only uses CLI.  So if you want to use the latest releases for the security updates then you'll have to accept that you can't use the GUI.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card