Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7920 Wireless

Edrick Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've tried setting up my Cisco 7920 on my wireless network. However it keeps sitting at Authenticating with AP. I'm using the configuration utility and running it through the wizard but have had no luck. I'd like to at least get it to work with WAP instead of WEP. Does anyone have experience with this who can provide step by step directions? I've looked at directions and read the manual but no luck.

Thanks!

21 Replies 21

We've tried with no authentication is the problem no matter what we set no encryption, WPA1, WEP and it just sits at the screen trying to connect. Also it is the 7920, I'll see if there's a specific model listed on it but it'd be the US one.

It seems either were missing something or these phones are horrible to configure.

Sent from my iPhone

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is not much to configure with an open network.

Set security to open, ensure the ssid is entered correctly matching the case.

Sounds like you have a basic misconfiguration. I doubt it is a 7920 hw issue since you have a few of them.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Can't be a very basic configuration if no matter what we try wont work haha. I've double checked tripple checked and quadrouple checked. We have the settings correct. The access point is Vortex with a capital V, the security is set to Open, other systems can connect without a password. It's just the phones that wont work.

Not sure this will make you feel better or not, but I was able to connect one of my 7920 phones to a Cisco Unified WLAN Controller running 7.0.98.0 with an ssid named Vortex with open authentication successfully.

7920 Config Steps

1)  Ensure Profile 1 is selected by navigating to Menu > Profiles > Network Profile  and then selecting Profile 1.

2)  Navigate to the SSID config page (Menu > Profiles > Network Profile > Profile 1 > 802.11b Configuration > SSID) and set the SSID to Vortex

3)  Navigate to the SSID config page (Menu > Profiles > Network  Profile > Profile 1 > 802.11b Configuration > Authentication) and set it to Open

4)  Back out and select Apply Change at the main menu for Profile 1

If that fails you can always factory reset the phone.

Press Menu > *## > Send (Green Button), then navigate to Menu > Phone Settings > Factory Default.

Unfortunately we tried the factory reset also before. The only thing we haven't tried is running them with a Cisco WAP. However without shelling out some cash there's no way we can test that. It seems to be limiting if they require you to use it on Cisco access points only.

Hey Edrick

What I want you to try I clear all the settings in the profile and authenticate with open network. No encryption etc for testing only. Keep all setting default DHCP. Especially the TFTP setting. What we are looking for is basic network connection.

Oh and don't use the software do this manually on the phone.

Sometimes the software doest post to the phone properly. With the 7921/25 they have a web interface you can access via USB cable.

I just tested my 7920 7921 7925 and they all work in the same fashion. I'm using the same code as you.

Don't write off the 7920's yet.

Stew

Also change your transmit power to 20mW

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card