cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9105AXW will not auto provision

raymondlmcd
Level 1
Level 1

I can connect to the CLI using the serial cable and it continues to show the links down or up. Yet will not let me use the Cisco Catalyst Wireless Mobile Application to auto provision the device. Brand New out of box.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello All,

Thank you for your help my AP had to be upgraded first  I think it was :

archive dowload-sw tftp://x.x.x.x/filename

First then the  ap-type ewc-ap tftp://1.2.3.4/ap1g8 tftp://1.2.3.4/C9800-AP-iosxe-wlc.bin was able to be used because firmware didn't have the "ewc" command

found correct info:

>archive download-sw /reload tftp://<IP of TFTP server>/ap1g8

...followed by...

>ap-type ewc-ap tftp://<IP of TFTP server>/ap1g8 tftp://<IP of TFTP server>/c9800-ap-iosxe-wlc.bin

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have WLC? do you have DHCP with Option 43 for onboarding ?

do you have any other AP which was already joined the controller?

Or are you setting up the first time? can you give us more information about the environment that you got?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

raymondlmcd
Level 1
Level 1

First time setting it up and no other Cisco Controller's and the DHCP is a Netgear Nighthawk

raymondlmcd
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 2960 poe not setup for anything yet. I have the 9105 connected to the netgear prosafe they already had at location. 

what are you looking to set up 9105 AP?

autonomous AP ? or ME ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

raymondlmcd
Level 1
Level 1

Autonomous AP 

autonomous does not apply to the Catalyst 91xx APs so the only option without a WLC is EWC.

So I must set up a DHCP or get a WLC controller? 

You should have a DHCP server anyway even if you run EWC ideally but EWC does support internal DHCP so if you follow the instructions to setup EWC then you can avoid having an external DHCP server.  Note that if your AP has CAPWAP software loaded (only works with a WLC or EWC controller) you will first have to download the EWC software and convert the CAPWAP AP to EWC as per the instructions above.  Normally if you wanted EWC you should have ordered the EWC AP software option from Cisco.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286324896/type/286323077/release/17.7.1

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-7/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_7/dhcp_for_wlans.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-7/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_7/conversion_and_migration.html#id_108650

Refer to point 1 under AP Conversion Deployment Scenarios or point 2 under SKU Conversion Scenarios (they're the same).

DHCP configured and the APs output

AP1006.ED2A.B218#show running-config
AP Name : AP1006.ED2A.B218
Admin State : Enabled
AP Mode : Local
AP Submode : Not Configured
Primary controller name :
Secondary controller name :
Tertiary controller name :
AP join priority : 1
IP Prefer-mode : Unconfigured
CAPWAP UDP-Lite : Unconfigured
Last Joined Controller name:
DTLS Encryption State : Disabled
Discovery Timer : 10
Heartbeat Timer : 30
CDP State : Enabled
Watchdog monitoring : Enabled
IOX : Disabled
RRM State : Enabled
LSC State : Disabled
SSH State : Disabled
AP Username : Cisco
Session Timeout : 300
Extlog Host : 255.255.255.255
Extlog Flags : 0
Extlog Status Interval : 0
Syslog Host : 255.255.255.255
Syslog Facility : 0
Syslog Level : errors
Core Dump File Compression : Disabled
Core Dump Filename :
Client Trace Status : Enabled(All)
Client Trace All Clients : Enabled
Client Trace Filter : 0x0000000E
Client Trace Out ConsoleLog: Disabled
AP WSA Mode : Disabled
Auxiliary-client Interface : Disabled

Either I am very slow which is very possible or these will not let me even try to tftp to get image

raymondlmcd
Level 1
Level 1

It also consistently restarts I hope it will let the TFTP work

You don't say exactly what you are trying to do, what commands you are using.

You need to post the full console logs (from the time the AP is powered on) attached in a text file (.txt) not a screenshot and don't paste thousands of lines of console logs on here.

I think your AP is in CAPWAP mode and you want to convert it to EWC - is that correct?

Make sure your TFTP server is configured and ready with the files in place - test it yourself with a PC client to make sure it's working.

Then make sure you have your commands typed out in notepad so that you can copy/paste them onto console without getting confused by the console output.

eg: ap-type ewc-ap tftp://1.2.3.4/ap1g8 tftp://1.2.3.4/C9800-AP-iosxe-wlc.bin

Remember the AP needs to be in enable mode before you can make any changes (ie. the command above).  Your tiny screenshot shows a non-enabled prompt.

Your screenshot shows option 43, which is wrong anyway as it has f104 for single IP followed by 2 IPs but that doesn't seem to be a problem as it's just using the first IP, but why is that there?  You only need option 43 to direct the AP to a WLC.  If you don't have a WLC then there is no need for option 43 and more likely to cause a problem.  The AP only needs an IP address and to be able to reach the TFTP server - ideally on the same subnet.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card