cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9115 on CTVM need DNA subscription ?

EURL_IPSENS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I've read things and opposite.
I'm going to work on a setup where Aironet 3702 and 38xx are running on a CTVM (8.10.x).
We would like to upgrade some of them to Wifi 6 and buy some Catalyst 9115AX(I/E). They seem to be supported by the CTVM.

But, is a DNA subscription required to run them ?

Best regards,

8 Replies 8

Hi

CTVM as we knew is end of line. Do you mean 9800CL?

EURL_IPSENS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Yes I know it's end of life but still running CTVM for the moment. Maybe will be upgraded to 9800CL later.

Got it. Yes, the are support (For a inch) but they are.

CTVM IOS :

Virtual Controller

7.3.x

8.10.x

9115AX

C9115AXI-x

8.10.x

Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.11.1b

C9115AXE-x

8.10.x

This WLC use the licensing  L-AIR-CTVM-5-K9 (old approach for licensing) .  I dont see option for DNA licensing subscription.

EURL_IPSENS
Level 1
Level 1

So, can work with DNA subscription on CTVM ?

DNA subscription seems not to be available for CTVM. What I can see is tradittional licensing with L-AIR-CTVM-5-K9.

But, I believe would be interesting with you give more information what you expect with DNA subscription. I am considering you are talking about AP licensing.

EURL_IPSENS
Level 1
Level 1

I don't need DNA. I just would like to add some 802.11ax wifi AP to the currently running setup.
But I saw somewhere (but can't find it anymore), that Catalyst 90xx AP were needing DNA subscription to run.

DNA subscription would be a new way to licensing. You can have DNA subscription or perpetual licensing. This is true for newer devices like Catalyst AP, switches and 9800 WLC.

But, it would not be a requirement for the device to work. Actually you dont need license at all if you activate the tril license on the WLC.

So, I believe you should not worry about the sibscription. Now, I am not sure this AP will join CTVM WLC. Never tested but this AP is pretty new and CTVM is going to die.

What you can do is install the Virtual 9800 instead.  Or even use the 90xx as WLC and join others.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

DNA license is required for AP on 9800 with smart licensing.
But not required for AireOS WLC which uses older licensing system so can be ordered with DNA opt-out.

But if you intend to use those APs with 9800 later then you will need the DNA licenses for the APs, but could also order the licenses separately when you do the 9800 migration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card