Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800-CL (VmWare) - Problem with captive portal from standby unit

Hi

We're running a Cisco 9800-CL (17.12.3), and we offer a guest Wi-Fi.
We're using the built-in "guest system" and captive portal.
This is working as expected.

During planned maintenance the WLC did a failover from active to standby unit.
After the failover, the captive portal no longer shows up for the guest user.
I had to do a "redundancy force-failover" to promote the standby unit to active to get it back online.

Any explanation why the captive portal doesn't kick in when we're running of the standby WLC?

19 Replies 19

Yes it is sounding buggy hence my suggestion to get TAC involved.

I wanted to provide an update on the recent captive portal issue.

I added the "wireless mobility MAC address" to the WLC cluster and performed a redundancy force-switchover. Following this, the user was able to access the captive portal, which suggested that the issue had been resolved.

To verify the solution, I removed the wireless mobility MAC address and repeated the entire procedure. Surprisingly, the captive portal continued to function correctly even without the "wireless mobility MAC address" configured.

While the exact cause of the issue remains unclear, I will keep the wireless mobility MAC address configured as a precautionary measure.

- It would then be interesting , if configured to check if Wireless Config Analyzer still gives this error :
             High Availability: Redundancy mac address is not set. This is mandatory configuration value if using redundancy feature

=?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I ran the Config Analyzer, and the error is not reported when the command/config is set.

/Kenneth

- So it is needed then , good to know,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card