cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9 cannot join the vWLC.....

IgorFi
Level 1
Level 1

Ho Folks. I'm doing a degree work and I have some gear here to make some tests, but failing...

I bought a Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9 on ebay and using evaluation version of vWLC. I have already tried two various versions of vWLC: Air CTVM-7-3-101-0  and CTVM-K9-8-0-152-0.

They have same problem. The wWLC actually can see the LAP, but it tells Status "Not Joined".

It sees its IP address (but not MAC). The can ping each other. The vWLC evaluation is activated.

So  see the same thing:

picccc.JPG

So tired, i tried so many offers.

This some version screenshots:

version 1.JPGsystem 2.JPG

Some screens from the vWLC:

cert1.JPG

cert2.JPG

cert3.JPGI don't know if this is enough, The time i set everywhere.

Also, I said, the vWLC can see the LAP:

join.JPG

Could you help me with that? Thank yo.

41 Replies 41

It's possible that it's a hidden command. That means it doesn't show when entering the ? sign. It should still be executed if you enter it completely though.

If that doesn't work (not sure if it exists in the recovery image at all, never worked with it), there is probably also the ROMMON mode on the 1140. 

In this case follow the post from Surendra in this thread:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/access-point-rommon-recovery-ap-prompt-recovery-example/ta-p/3119495/page/2/show-comments/true

Just exchange the image names with the correct filenames.

EDIT

Wait a second, you are already in ROMMON mode (console prompt is ap: instead of [macaddres]:). The debug command is only in the normal image, not ROMMON. It seems you interrupted the boot process by either pressing the button or ESC. 

That was my mistake. thanks.

But i don't understand those question marks and brackets:

AP#copy tftp: flash:
Source filename [image name]? flash:image name/image name

Here is my image: c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6

How the whole command should look like. I'm sorry for that, just never done it before.

OK, I got that: but now getting :

AP68ef.bdff.060e#copy tftp: flash:c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6
Address or name of remote host [192.168.0.22]?
Source filename [c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6]?
Destination filename [c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6]?
Accessing tftp://192.168.0.22/c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6...
%Error opening tftp://192.168.0.22/c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6 (No such file or directory)
AP68ef.bdff.060e#

Even though the server gets the request:

tftp.JPG

Doesn't your image also have an ending, like .bin?

Make sure you show the file endings on your client PC!

You can probably try:

copy tftp://192.168.0.22/c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6.bin flash://c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6.bin

They are all .tar. actually.

It is doing now. Forgot to add .tar in the end of the command.

Done. Now testing!

Ah ok, in this case replace the .bin with .tar.

As they are tar files, you need to use the 'archive download-sw' command. Do you have that one in the recovery debug CLI mode?

If not, you probably have to use the ROMMON mode variant, which I linked before. 

If yes, here is the manual on how to use the archive download-sw command:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/107911-ios-upgrade.html#task2

So the command should be like this:

archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://192.168.0.22/cc1140-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB6.tar

You are absolutely right!

It is downloading image from the controller now!

My LAP just joined the vWLC!  Yesssssss! :)

Guys, what you have done is amazing! You saved me! I would love to accept as solution both of you. But it is not possible here.

Thank you!

P.S: the only problem is this:

*Aug 31 14:33:39.566: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down
*Aug 31 14:33:39.579: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to down

So there is no radio signal coming out of it.

Now you can finally start to configure the vWLC :)

Here is a guide for this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_010.html

You probably haven't enabled the wireless interfaces on the WLC under Wireless - 802.11b/g/n - Network and 802.11a/n/ac - Network. Make sure the 802.11a/b Network Status is set to enabled.

Not sure if you also need to have a configured SSID for the APs to bring the interface online.

I enabled it, now it shows as "Reg". which is good, I guess. But non of the wifi devices can see the LAP. Thank you for the manual, it is very comprehensive.

You did create an SSID under WLANs?

Sounds like there is nothing to send for the AP :)

joseph.ashley
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same issue as the original poster of this thread. Can someone summarize what was done to get this issue resolved? I'm just struggling to understand the exact steps taken.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card