Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 2800 Series AIR-AP2802I-E-K9 max TX power issue on 2.4

szemolbakk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I've got a problem with my AP on 2.4GHz.

It shows maximum 14dBm max TX power which is less than the specs.

Country is Hungary which should allow more TX power.

Is there any limit or hint or advice?

AP works as ME mode.

szemolbakk_0-1692719255790.png

Many thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. What version of software are you using? (make sure it's up to date as per TAC recommended below)
2. The full channel power table for 2800i is at
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/reference/2800-3800-I-pwr-chn.xlsx 
14 max is correct for the 2.4-E domain.  Don't forget the 4 dBi antenna gain used in calculating EIRP.

Which "specs" are you referring to that suggest it should be higher? 
You might be confusing what power the AP is capable of (eg on the datasheet), with what the country/regulatory domain regulations allow (in the spreadsheet linked above) and the need to consider antenna gain in the calculations?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If the AP ME controller is servicing other AP's then power may be negotiated according to best coverage with the other APs ; note that max power is not 'all happiness' because clients must then be able to cover a longer distance gap to the AP too when receiving signals at 'the edge' (or at the 'event horizon' a physicist would have said (LOL!)) 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

Also, have a look at your Transmit Power. Navigate to Wireless Settings > Access Points 

Under Radio 1 (2.4 GHz) and Radio 2 (5 GHz) you can verify Transmit Power - 1 to 8.

Ref: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-6/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_6/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_6_chapter_0111.html

CJ

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. What version of software are you using? (make sure it's up to date as per TAC recommended below)
2. The full channel power table for 2800i is at
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/reference/2800-3800-I-pwr-chn.xlsx 
14 max is correct for the 2.4-E domain.  Don't forget the 4 dBi antenna gain used in calculating EIRP.

Which "specs" are you referring to that suggest it should be higher? 
You might be confusing what power the AP is capable of (eg on the datasheet), with what the country/regulatory domain regulations allow (in the spreadsheet linked above) and the need to consider antenna gain in the calculations?

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed explanaition.

The software version is 8.10.151.0. As I checked the excel the "-E" marking is for 14 dBm max in 2.4, so there is no issue with the equipment nor the settings, this is the maximum allowed power which "E" can support.

Many thanks for the clarification!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card