Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP 9115AXI Dot11Radio1 is UP, line protocol is DOWN

Simone C
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with a couple of Cisco APs model 9115AXI where the 5Ghz Radios are UP but the operation Status is in "Down":

SimoneC_0-1717597832754.png

Also by looking the data via cli the situation is the same:

sho int dot11Radio 1
Dot11Radio1 is UP, line protocol is DOWN
Hardware is 802.11 5.0G Radio, channel is 132

Current WLC is a 9800-CL model with 17.9.3 release installed. These are the only two APs connected in this WLC, does anyone have any hint or tip about this situation?

2,4GHz Radios are fine: 

SimoneC_1-1717598038485.png

sho int dot11Radio 0
Dot11Radio0 is UP, line protocol is UP
Hardware is 802.11 2.4G Radio, channel is 11

Thanks in advance and best regards

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Does the AP get enough power?
           - For instance ; reboot the AP and just after is has booted , connect to it and issue the command show logging (look for errors if any)
          - Check if the regulatory domain used by the AP Is configured (allowed) in the controller
          - Have you a checkup of the a 9800-CL controller  configuration  with https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/ using the output of  show tech wireless

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

Sadly I cannot reboot the Aps because there are clients connected to them, but I checked the Tech wireless via Wireless Analyzer, and beside some warnings and an error on the "WLC Messages" voice about HTTP security features and some things related to the current OS version (17.9.3) everything looks fine on the Radio and all the RFs voices. I also performed the wireless config validate command to be sure. Could this be a bug? I know currently suggested version is 17.9.5.

Thanks a lot for your help! 

>....Sadly I cannot reboot the Aps because there are clients connected to them, 
   - It remains strongly recommended and the action I suggested (show logging just after boot) ; you can only take one AP and if there is sufficient coverage the client will roam to another AP

- As far as WirelessAnalyzer is concerned  ,  make sure there are no  red errors in the Wlc-Checkresults tab because these should always be corrected

- It's not a bug , have you also looked into the regulatory domain settings and or compatibility between the APs and controller, 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I understand it, I'll try to do it when there's no client connected to them so I can reboot them safely.By looking the output of the wifi Analyzer I confirm the only red error found was related to HTTP access.

Ok thanks for the information. I will update you once I perform the reboot and checked out the logs.

Thanks again.

Tx!  Also examine the output of : show controllers dot11Radio 1   (on the AP CLI)

M.

Hi Marce,

I finally managed to reboot one of the APs but by looking the logs once rebooted, there are no errors nor weird messages that could lead to some issues. I also launched the command above, I will share the output here in a .txt file.

Thanks for helping me on this issue!

>.... there are no errors nor weird messages that could lead to some issues. 
  - Presuming you are using POE to power the access point : could you provide the output from :
                     show power inline gigabitEthernet 1/0/4 detail
    On the switch where the AP is conneced to ? Of course you must replace the blue content with the actual port details of the particular AP connection

Make sure that the apparent country code Italy is configured and allowed on the controller

Make sure the 5ghz profile for the SSID/WLAN is enabled with :
      # (config)  ap dot11 5ghz rf-profile your-profile-name
                       no shutdown

Also verify these parameters and settings on the 9800 controller :
       Configure > Tags & Profiles > WLAN
       Choose the SSID
       In the General tab, look under Radio Policy.  (check 5ghz parameters)

Or check :  Radio Configurations > Network > 5Ghz tab

M.

Check AP name 

Then do

Show ap name <> tag detail 

Share it here 

MHM

Hello MHM, here's the output of the command you suggested (I had to blur several infos due to internal policies):

SimoneC_0-1717656723606.png

Both Aps have the same tags and belong to the same profile.

Thanks.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Added reply : also use the CLI command wireless config validate

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card