Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C9115 EWC to C9115AP over IPSec

san4ez39
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have question regarding this topic. If in one site i will have 9115EWC and 4 AP on 4 different sites (sites to site IPSec) - will EWC see these 4 AP and will they be able to join EWC controller?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

not by default!
controller/EWC discovery uses different method,
the most direct is by broadcast within the subnet, this will fail over the site-to-site connection.
so you need to use one of the other options
- DHCP entry
- DNS record
- manual prime the AP with the controllers (EWC) address

for details red Configuring the Controller for Access Point Discovery (cisco.com)
by the way If you initially let the AP join the EWC on the local subnet and then move to the remote location
the AP will remember the EWC it has joined. and no manual intervention (other methods above) may be needed

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

not by default!
controller/EWC discovery uses different method,
the most direct is by broadcast within the subnet, this will fail over the site-to-site connection.
so you need to use one of the other options
- DHCP entry
- DNS record
- manual prime the AP with the controllers (EWC) address

for details red Configuring the Controller for Access Point Discovery (cisco.com)
by the way If you initially let the AP join the EWC on the local subnet and then move to the remote location
the AP will remember the EWC it has joined. and no manual intervention (other methods above) may be needed

Thank you. I think i will go and suggest instead of 4 AP take 4 EWC. Because i do not know how the end configuration will look like. Maybe an IPSec or DMVPN or some thing else and how networks will interconnect.

please update us 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Just to clarify - while it might work as suggested above, connecting to a remote EWC is not supported by Cisco.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html#DeployingtheEWC
"An EWC network is supported in the same Layer 2 domain."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card