cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C9120AXE vs C9120AXP, What is the difference?

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference between the Cisco C9120AXE vs C9120AXP? I know what the datasheet says, but it sounds like to me the only difference is that the E comes with external antennas and the P does not, but the P can support higher gain antennas. The datasheet is very vague.

Can the P work with the same antennas that come with the E?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
  • Cisco Catalyst 9120AXE Access Points are certified for use with antenna gains up to 6 dBi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)
  • Cisco Catalyst 9120AXP Access Points) are certified for use with antenna gains up to 13 dBi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) with the AIR-ANT2513P4M-N= antenna

To prevent regulatory violations, it is recommended that you use 9120AXP when high gain antennas are in use.

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for that clarification. That should mean the standard external antennas should work and provide the same coverage as the E version?

-P has a lower power output compared to -E AP. I haven't tested having low gain antenna's in 9120AXP as I had only few interactions with AXP APs and all the time they were connecting to the Stadium Antenna.

In your case I would stick to Cisco documentation and order different AP models as per the connecting antenna model. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9120ax-series-access-points/datasheet-c78-742115.html#:~:text=External%20antenna%20(sold%20separately)

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

This clarifies things much better. I'll stick with the E.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card