Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Controller Type 6 Key/Password

We have Cisco 9800 wireless controller with radius authentication with NPS servers. Its working as expected.

Now, Im trying to copy the radius configurations from this controller to another one (Same model, same IOS version), it wont accept the radius type 6 key/password. Specifically, error is as below:

WLC-9800(config)#aaa server radius dynamic-author

client 1.1.1.1 server-key 6 XXXXYYYYZZZ

%invalid encrypted key: XXXXYYYYZZZ

% Could not define per-client secret.

Key has been taken from the working configuration as it is.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Saif

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marce is correct - if you don't know the original password then there is nothing you can do but choose a new password and configure that on both WLCs and the radius server.

While you're about it you may want to reset your AES master key to something you know - use "no key config-key password-encrypt" to erase the old one but beware you will need to re-configure all your type 6 passwords so make sure you know what they are before doing that.  Again if you don't know them they will all need to be reset.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Where or are the 2 controllers running the same ios-xe version ?
         - Is the target controller on an older version perhaps ?
         - Can you use the key , when it's entered without encryption ?
         - Can you use another key ?
         - Check controller logs after trying the particular command 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Further to what Marce said - type 6 encryption relies on the AES key you have configured on that box:
1. Have you enabled AES encryption on the new WLC? "password encryption aes"
2. Have you configured the same AES key on both WLCs? "key config-key password-encrypt <your-secure-AES-key>"

If the AES master key is not identical on both boxes then decryption of the type 6 encrypted key will fail. (radius must be able to access the original decrypted key to build the radius packets)

Hi Marce and Rich,

Thank you for your valuable input on the subject.

Where or are the 2 controllers running the same ios-xe version ?
         - Is the target controller on an older version perhaps ?

Both the controller are on different versions, but the difference is maginal. 17.3.8 (existing) and 17.9.4a (New controller)
         - Can you use the key , when it's entered without encryption ?

Yes, it takes the command if no key type is specified and then converts it to type 7 in running config.
         - Can you use another key ?

It does not accept any key of type 6
         - Check controller logs after trying the particular command 

I am yet to check this.

1. Have you enabled AES encryption on the new WLC? "password encryption aes"

Yes, it is enabled on both the controllers.
2. Have you configured the same AES key on both WLCs? "key config-key password-encrypt <your-secure-AES-key>"

No, I have no clue what was the key originally configured by the previous admin for passwrd-encrypt.

Regards

Saif

>....No, I have no clue what was the key originally configured by the previous admin for passwrd-encrypt.
                      - Then you need to reconfigure the passwords from scratch (with new values), 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Marce is correct - if you don't know the original password then there is nothing you can do but choose a new password and configure that on both WLCs and the radius server.

While you're about it you may want to reset your AES master key to something you know - use "no key config-key password-encrypt" to erase the old one but beware you will need to re-configure all your type 6 passwords so make sure you know what they are before doing that.  Again if you don't know them they will all need to be reset.

Thank you Rich and Marce,

Your suggestions have been useful in resolving this issue.

Saif

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card