Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Controller Behavior

HI All,

my question is very simple , if i have single controller in my environment, what's the normal action happens to access points managed by it, when the controller is rebooted or power failed? campus access points continue its functions normally or it reboots?
is there any documentation for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Local APs are totally dependent on the controller for their functionality. Simply put, if the controller is not live on the network, the APs are down.

FlexConnect is a semi-autonomous mode where the AP is configured to work with the controller when it is available, but can function if the controller is not live. But it takes additional configuration for this to work.

This is a very basic and simplified explanation. If your environment  relies on the wireless it would be best to have a second controller.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends on how the AP is configured: Local or Flexconnect
Is there a redundant WLC?

no redundant WLC,
would you please inform me of the two cases? (flexconnect or local)
and breifly the difference between these modes

Local APs are totally dependent on the controller for their functionality. Simply put, if the controller is not live on the network, the APs are down.

FlexConnect is a semi-autonomous mode where the AP is configured to work with the controller when it is available, but can function if the controller is not live. But it takes additional configuration for this to work.

This is a very basic and simplified explanation. If your environment  relies on the wireless it would be best to have a second controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card