Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco hwic-ap or Aironet Access Point?

mariano.deheza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

I'm doing CCNA, and building my router-switching lab. I want to add WiFi links to my routing experiments, so I'm looking for to buy a hwic-ap module or a separated access point such as Air-ap1231g-a-k9; Air-ap1242g-a-k9, to say some afordable cheap models.

My question is: from the point of view of configuring by commands (CLI), which option is more complex, more interesting to learning? use hwic-ap module inserted into the routers, or console configurable big access points? Or boths?

Thank you in advance and kind regards.

MD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @mariano.deheza

They are exactly the same. Same commands, same prompt. For CCNA you don´t need a Lab actually, but, if you can afford it, buy APs instead module. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @mariano.deheza

They are exactly the same. Same commands, same prompt. For CCNA you don´t need a Lab actually, but, if you can afford it, buy APs instead module. 

Thank you a lot, Flavio! I know that real lab is not necessary, but I like to work with hardware too. Anyway, there is several commands that are not the same with Packet Tracer. 

The APs are using a complete ios operating system? Or is another version? 

Regards,

Mariano

When Autonomous it has most of IOS commands plus some wireless specific commands. 

OK, Flavio, what does it means autonomous? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card