cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco NCS Prime- Alerts

Jay233
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed NCS Prime it's live and monitoring around 100 AP's and 50 switches, I'm getting 1000s of alerts which most are meaningless….so has anyone 'got the scars' from implementing and optimising a prime NCS environment and gone through the pain of adjusting and fine tuning a Prime NCS system filtering out unimportant alerts and configuring the system so the important alerts are flagged in the right way etc etc….

Looking for Cisco best practice and any other collateral that may help.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is the worst part of these alerts.... my quick answer... delete them:)  set thresholds for the alarms you want to see and any of the minor alerts that you don't want to see and can't really filter, just select all and delete.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Set these up and do it fast! I've got 15,000+ alarms of various sorts. Guess what? You can only delete 500 at a time... and at this point, I get errors popping up every time I try to delete any, after which maybe a half-dozen are deleted. I'm sure the underlying Oracle DB would allow mass deletions pretty easily, problem being even if I were a DBA (I'm not, I'm a NetAdmin of course!) I'd have to be able to access that database before running queries.

So anyone stumbling on this... take heed before you end up wrestling a bear of a database!

msmith101
Level 1
Level 1

The best option I found was to change the categorization, putting the alarms I really cared about (ie. device down, or a condition that needs action on someone's part) to critical, and then monitoring that alarm category.  The rest you can split between major, minor and warning if you care to do so.  Set your auto delete to a value that makes sense to avoid clutter.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card