Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco virtual wireless controller

azore2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

We are thinking about buying Cisco wireless products and are currently checking out the controller options.

We do hosting for customers, so alot of our stuff is virtualised already (vmware). So it feels natural to go the virtual controller track.

We can grow with this solution since we haven't started to sell this to our customers (managed solutions). Which means we do not have to pay upfront for like $120k for a pair of 5508..

Instead we grow by buying AP licenses for the virtual controller..

Do we need DTLS? We only sell for schooles/offices..I tried googling it but haven't found any real buy stopper.

500Mbit throughput, dont really know what this limit us for, since all traffic is localy switched/routed at each office.

Fast failover not supported is something I can live with.

Anyone got any tips/hints or suggestion of our wireless options? Something that I forgott that would make the virtual controllers really stupid to buy?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There is no guide. What I'm suggesting is that you can use the same vWLC for guest. You would just create a guest said and map that to an interface that is on your vm network subnet. In VMware you can create a VMware network that only passes certain vlans.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DTLS might be a requirement for a company, but is not required. The vWLC might be a good product for what you are doing since it only supports FlexConnect. I'm guessing when you implement the wireless you will be doing FlexConnect. There is also the Flex 7500 or the 8500 which is more for the service provider like yourself. But that allows for more support. It might be better for you to use the vWLC since you can dedicate a vWLC for certain companies. It supports up to 200 ap I believe.

-Scott

Hi Scott

That is correct, we will only sell flexconnect solutions for the customers.

Another thing is how to handle guest wifi for customers... Looks like we need to buy a physical wifi controller just to anchor the guest SSID for the vWLC controller since, from my understanding, it cannot do that by itself

It depends..... Do you want to anchor? You could always create a virtual guest network.

-Scott

Hi Scott

I have no luck finding this documentation in regards to virtual guest network for the virtual controller.

Got a link for me to follow? I checked design/config PDF's but I get the ordinary 7.3 Wireless deployment guide.. and the guest setup is for hardware controllers in that guide (i think)

Thanks

There is no guide. What I'm suggesting is that you can use the same vWLC for guest. You would just create a guest said and map that to an interface that is on your vm network subnet. In VMware you can create a VMware network that only passes certain vlans.

-Scott

Thanks for the assistance and clarification Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card