Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 5508 assigning different SSID to few APs

ROHIT SHARMA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a WLC 5508 runing 8.0

Presently one SSID is assigned to all th APs registered with my WLC.

I want a different SSID to 2 of APs. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is simple.

Create a AP group and add the WLANs which need to be advertise by the AP in this group. Then add those two APs into this group.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_01011100.html

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

This is simple.

Create a AP group and add the WLANs which need to be advertise by the AP in this group. Then add those two APs into this group.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_01011100.html

HTH

Rasika

Thanks Rasika,

Do I need to remove those two APs from the default WLAN that is presently assigned?

Or creating AP group and adding two APs into it will remove those two APs from default WLAN?

Please guide.

Thank you.

Once you put an AP into a group only the WLAN's assigned to that group will be advertised.

Also, Can I download multiple web auth login pages to WLC to use different page with different WLAN...?

Hi Rohit,

That should be possible & below should helps you

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11872891/cisco-wlc-two-differents-portal-web-authentication

HTH

Rasika

I went through this and it looks like we can upload only one package to WLC. So we must zip all the pages into single .tar package and upload it. if we upload new .tar package, it'll replace the old one.

AM I CORRECT here?

Once you create the AP group, you have to add the WLAN with required interface map to that WLAN. So when you move AP from default ap-group to this new AP group, only configured WLAN under AP group will advertised by the AP belong to the new AP group.

HTH

Rasika

So is it ok if i use same interface for multiple WLANs ?

Yes, that's no problem.

If I create a new WLAN from WLAN Tab in WLC, would it get advertised to all the APs?

I don't find any option in WLAN to attach it to specific AP.

When you create a wlan, that wlan is part of the default-group. The default-group is part of the AP Group for all access points unless you have Out of Box enabled. In order to pick and choose the SSIDs you want for a given AP or a group of APs, you need to create an AP Group, add the SSID's (wlan) and then add the AP or APs to that AP Group.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So when I add SSID to an AP Group, this SSID won't be visible to default AP Group?

It will. What you use ap groups for is if you only want specific SSIDs on a specific ap or group of aps. You can have many ap groups but an ap can only belong to one ap group. 

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Depend on WLAN ID number as well.

1. if WLAN ID number is greater than 16, then those SSID not visible in "default ap-group" & only in the APs in particular AP Group.

2. if WLAN ID number is lower than 16 then, by default it will advertise in APs in "default ap-grop". So if you add that WLAN to particular AP Group, then that WLAN advertised by APs in both AP groups (default & specific AP group)

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card