cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC problems, really need some advice here.

alekstsoy29
Level 1
Level 1

Tonight I was supposed to swap in our replacement/upgrade WLC. We are upgrading from a 2504 to a 3504, and this week I was able to mirror the configs (minus teh few newer feature differences and the mgmt IP).

So I get here, I powered down the old, power up the new using the old controllers mgmt and LAN cables from the switch. After an hour only 6 of the 19 ap's showed associated. Now I did verify beforehand that all of our ap's models were in the compatibility list.

So after reading where it's typical to connect the new or second WLC to the network on a new IP, then set it's ip as the primary controller under the HA tab in each ap I thought I'd give that a go.

So I bring back up the old wlc, and after 20 minutes it has zero ap's associated. I'm at a complete loss as of what to do now. We were not using teh LWAPP or CAPWAP dns entries before.. I've added those (CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER and CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER and rebooted them both. But the results are the same.. 6 on the new and 0 on the old.

I could really use some reddit love tonight.. I have no one to call for assistance on this.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

what model of APs, specifically the ones that will not anchor?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The easiest way no for you to get these up and running is to place the aps in the same subnet as the management ip on the controller.  This way the local broadcast should help with the join.  Once they join, you can double check your high availability as the controller name is case sensitive and then move the port to the vlan you want the ap's on.  Make sure you bounce the port also.

Can you provide additional information:

• Code on the 2504 and the 3504
  • What model ap's just to check

If you have a chance, you should console into one of the ap's and see what is happening.  The output in the console really helps in these situations.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware are you using?

1. Always specifiy what models of AP and what versions of code (for both old and new WLC in your case)!

2. Have you read and carefully followed the instructions in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/639/fn63942.html ?

0 for old -> need AP fallback option enable in WLC

6 from 19 need more detail 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card