Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 's Anchored SSID multiple subnets

rgreville666
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a requirement to land an SSID on an anchor controller but depending on which AP the client connects I need them to receive certain IP address.

So...

I have an LWAP known as AP1 connecting to WLC1, WLC1 uses WLC2 as the Anchor controller for the ssid SSID1. When a user connects I want that user to get an address out of SUBNET1. If a user connects to AP2 which is also connected to WLC1 I want that user to get an address out of SUBNET2

Now.. If the AP's where located directly on WLC2 I could use AP groups to provide this functionality, does anyone know if its possible to combine this with anchoring????

Thanks

RG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct... You can't do what you are trying to accomplish. If you were doing 802.1x you can use AAA override to assign users to a vlan, but other than that, the WLC can't perform that task.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As of right now, you can't specify where the anchor controller traffic will go to (if you have multiple anchor controllers).  The only way is assign only one anchor to a foreign WLC and all those AP's will anchor to the assigned anchor controller.

When you anchor ssid's, the anchor places user on the interface that is specified on the anchor controller SSID.  So AP groups will not work for any ap's that are on any foreing WLC's.  AP Groups will work for AP's that are joined to the anchor, but not the other way around.

-Scott

I only have one anchor... but that won't solve the problem, the issue is is that there's no way to determine what AP the user conected to from the remote anchor controller and hence I don't think you can segregate the users into different groups. To satisfy a security policy I must be able to assign different locations with different subnet's, the problem is that the AP's are on WLC1 and the anchor point is WLC2 (WLC proxys / bridges the DHCP request)

Correct... You can't do what you are trying to accomplish. If you were doing 802.1x you can use AAA override to assign users to a vlan, but other than that, the WLC can't perform that task.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card