cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC

yalcinsoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a Cisco wireless controller, AIR-AP1815I-E-K9 Model AP that works virtually. Do WLC and AP need to be on the same network or do they need to be on different VLANs for it to work, thank you.

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... AIR-AP1815I-E-K9 Model AP that works virtually = ?
   - That's a conflicting statement because the AP used is a physical device.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

AP is a physical device, the controller communicates with the virtual machine within the same network.

- What virtual machine type are you talking about ? ; the mobility express controller has no need for that and can talk to the APs directly  , and they can be on different VLANs ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

virtual machine vmware installed , I can access the controller interface, I can use the AP console, the controller tries to go but cannot go.

>...the controller tries to go but cannot go.
  - Very confusing ; post a screenshot of the issue (e.g.)

M.

Gaurav  Kansal
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Yalcinsoft,

You can put controller and access point on different VLAN but you must enable routing to for both and remember AP communicate to controller through UDP port 5246 (Control channel) and 5247 (Data channel). You must enable these ports in order to communicate access point to your controller.

GoodLuck
Regards
Gaurav Kansal

If you find this post helpful then please vote as Helpful and if it solves your issue then please mark as Solution.

yalcinsoft
Level 1
Level 1

error detalis
[*06/04/2024 10:44:17.4723] Discarding msg CAPWAP_WTP_EVENT_REQUEST(type 9) in CAPWAP state: DTLS Teardown(4).
[*06/04/2024 10:44:17.4726] Discarding msg CAPWAP_WTP_EVENT_REQUEST(type 9) in CAPWAP state: DTLS Teardown(4).
[*06/04/2024 10:44:21.8058] No more AP manager addresses remain..
[*06/04/2024 10:44:21.8059] No valid AP manager found for controller 'Cisco-000c.296b.a3bc' (ip: 192.168.2.219)
[*06/04/2024 10:44:21.8059] Failed to join controller Cisco-000c.296b.a3bc.
[*06/04/2024 10:44:21.8060] Failed to join controller.

>....No more AP manager addresses remain
  - Check if the controller has or still has sufficient remaining licenses for the AP to be able to join , 

M.

yalcinsoft
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed the license like this, we will get the license after the demo period.

License Type Time(expires) RTU Count Status ap_count
Evaluation 12 weeks, 5 days 200 Active, Not-In-Use

yalcinsoft
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any friends who will support you?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Ok so let's clear up a few things ...

You have an 1815i AP which you want to connect to a vWLC.
You'd also like to have the AP and WLC on different VLANs.

AP and WLC can be on the same VLAN/subnet and then AP will discover the WLC by local subnet broadcast.  You still need a DHCP server to provide an IP address for the AP.
If the AP and WLC are on different VLAN/subnet then the AP needs a way to discover the WLC - best option is usually DHCP option 43 which provides the WLC IP address.  As Gaurav you will need routing between those subnets for the AP to reach the WLC and the WLC to reach the AP.

> License Type Time(expires) RTU Count Status ap_count
> Evaluation 12 weeks, 5 days 200 Active, Not-In-Use

You need to have another look at your licensing!  And if you don't want to buy a license then you should take a look at https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/vwlc-license/td-p/4554443 

Make sure you're using the latest software version - currently 8.10.196.0
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284464214/type/280926587/release/8.10.196.0
Always refer to the TAC recommended code link below.

hello, first of all, thank you

I would like to summarize briefly: cisco 1815 ap ip address 192.168.2.145 wireless controller's ip address 192.168.2.219

Everything is fine as far as there is a router that distributes IP here via DHCP, I can see the IP address via the AP console, there is ping access from the PC.

wlc trial version appears to be 12 weeks and 5 days, is trial mode ap not added, thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card