Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients can still access Internet while in Web Auth Pending state

Running a WLC-9800-80 running Cisco IOS-XE 17.9.5 in my lab, testing Web Auth Redirect for a simple consent page (Not collecting any email or data) on our open guest network.

Clients can successfully connect to the guest WLAN and are presented the proper consent page while being placed in a "Web Auth Pending" state. If I click the accept button, client move to Run. So that all works properly. The problem I have is that while still in the Web Auth Pending state, my clients can reach the Internet successfully by opening another browser tab, pinging Internet addresses, etc. Is this expected behavior for a device on an open network? I have tested this with Windows 10/11 clients, Apple devices, and Linux PCs. All exhibit the same behavior. Windows actually shows that the device is connected without Internet access, yet it does have Internet access! 

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerome BERTHIER
Level 1
Level 1

OK so maybe you hit the bug pointed out by marce1000

Open a support case. That's the best way in your case.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu72447
    Regardless of the bug report , relevance w.r.t current ios-xe version used , from a support point of view ; it becomes more relevant if someone can repeat the problem on that version as you are observing and or testing it , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Jerome BERTHIER
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I assume that you use LWA with type consent. Right ?

Can you share your preauth ACL ?

Regards

Correct. And I have the LWA address set to 192.168.199.199 for the test in my lab. Here is my pre-auth ACL

ip access-list extended utguest_preauth
10 permit ip any host 192.168.199.199
20 deny ip any any

I think this is the point.

AireOS and IOS-XE WLC do not behave the same with preauth ACL :

- on AireOS, use deny statement to trigger redirect

- on IOS-XE, use permit statement to trigger redirect

So to my understanding, you ACL should be the opposite :

ip access-list extended utguest_preauth
10 deny ip any host 192.168.199.199

11 deny udp any host <your DNS resolver> eq 53

! not sure about these two next entries but you may have to open for DHCP. I don't know

12 deny udp any eq 68 any eq 67

13 deny udp any eq 67 any eq 68

! final permit to trigger for all traffic except previous entries
20 permit ip any any

Hope this helps

Regards

Thanks for that - tried it and got the same results

Jerome BERTHIER
Level 1
Level 1

OK so maybe you hit the bug pointed out by marce1000

Open a support case. That's the best way in your case.

Regards

Yes I have a TAC case open. Thanks all!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card