Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients Connected to WLC get a 169. IP?

Anyone come across a situation where some clients on the network are connected to wifi then suddenly they have a 169. IP?

I have checked and there are still available IP`s in the pool. It seems to be happening randomly.

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

DHCP issues are (normally) caused by the DHCP server. Or it is unreachable, or it can't supply any IP addresses. Perhaps the DHCP pool is to small? Who is running the DHCP server? Have you checked for available addresses? An 169. address is an APIPA address, that the client is assigning to the NIC (in case of no DHCP server or IP available).

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

I'm experiencing this issue on c9800 running 17.3.1 (even present on 17.3.2). This is random and it only happen on Windows devices (https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvo91525/?rfs=iqvred).

The symptoms are those you mentioned, clients getting APIPA address, but devices get proper IP address when you reboot the AP or invoke "test capwap restart" command.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please Rate Helpful Responses ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have you gathered additional info like type of device, NIC model, OS, NIC firmware and see if there is a pattern?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Will follow up on this Scott...thx

DHCP is WLC local ?

Hi there DHCP is local on not on WLC.

Service TI
Level 1
Level 1

Did anyone got a resolution for this issue ? I have a WLC 5520 AIR-CT5520-K9 with AP3800 and AP2800, with IOS 8.3.143.0. I get the same issue with 169.254.x.x ip addresses and stays connected to the AP but not receiving IP (same lease). Maybe related to this too: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvo91525?rfs=iqvred  

Thanks, 

That is typically related to DHCP.  Open a new thread with more details on your implementation.  Local or Flex, How are you reproducing the issue, etc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If clients are Intel AX based, have you tried updating to latest drivers 22.110 as it is analyzed here?

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please rate helpful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card