Views
Helpful
Replies

Clover Point of sale not connecting to 9105 AP

Alex-Pr
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen this before?

The point of sale terminals made by Clover in a restaurant have no trouble connecting to an outdoor 1552 AP that is ran off a 5508 WLC running 8.3 train of code, but it can’t connect to to a 9105AXI connected to a 5520 wlc running 8.10. (They also connect fine to a small home wifi router)

the WLAN works fine. I have all the settings matched from one wlc to the other. The only difference I see is that the ones that don’t work run a newer version of code and the APs support 802.11ax.  I have tried to disable ax support on the wlan and no luck.  

I got nowhere with clover support.  

On the clover device it sees the SSID and recognizes it is wpa2 personal. After entering the passcode it tires to connect but never associates. I don’t see the association attempt on the WLC

Any suggestions????

Thanks!!!

14 Replies 14

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Is there a way to update the firmware on POS device ? 
what’s the minimum data rate set on 5520 ? 

if you don’t see association request on WLC means during probe request and response, AP and client do not agree on some parameters. so if you have collected logs, please share that as well which show probe request from client and response to the client. 

-hope this helps-

Thanks.

Interesting thought on the Advertised rates.  I have the minimum mandatory higher on the 5 gig band for the 5520 WLC @ 24meg whereas the 5508 allows the default of 6.  On the 2.4 gig band they are both set to a min mandatory of 12 meg.

I don't have access to update the clover device and their website is great if you want to buy their service, terrible for actual support...

I have other clover POS devices working fine over 802.1x on that 5520 WLC but those are all connecting to 9120 access points...

@Alex-Pr wrote:

On the 2.4 gig band they are both set to a min mandatory of 12 meg.

Check to see if FRA is enabled.  I suspect this PoS only operates in 2.4 Ghz and the AP has disabled 2.4 Ghz, possibly due to high amount of co-channel interference, and switch to micro-5Ghz radio.

" I have tried to disable ax support on the wlan and no luck"

You  can disable it on the network , wireless tab 

But should not be a problema. AP should accept 802.11ac clientes. Even 802.11a.

Can you run "debug client 'mac'" while trying to connect and share the output?

@Flavio Miranda for your info AX is a problem for some *clients* eg: Intel drivers didn't work and had to be updated before those clients could connect to an AX enabled network so always worth considering that as a potential client issue.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000054799/wireless.html

I was able to get it to connect by using 802.1x authentication rather then WPA2 personal....  If it is off the same AP but the only change is the authentication method, what is the difference????

Thanks

8021.1x also use WPA2 but  for encryption which different from authentication. 

And, you can have  WPA2 as authentication, with PSK. 

Hope is that what you asked.

Can you let me know what you can make of this?

I have now dealt with more devices facing the same trouble.  they are all point of sale handheld terminals.  Some now are Square, and the rest are Clover.  

On my 5520 running 8.10.151.0 they fail if I use WPA2 Personal with a passcode. 

I have tried with a more complex passcode

I have tried with PMP in all 3 settings

The encryption cypher on the WLC is CCMP128(AES)  (the only option)

I can get the devices to work if I change the security method to either

802.1x

WPA1

On my 5508's running 8.3.143.0, they connect perfectly fine to WPA2 with AES

Am I missing something??

From what I can tell is happening is they are rejecting the connection based on something of my WLAN profile related to WPA2

For most of my public networks (retail shops, events, etc) , I want to run them WPA2 personal with a pre shared Key.  I can't do that if I am going to constantly run into this problem...

Thanks

Upgrade the WLC firmware first.

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the WLC code you are running? AP's are in which mode?

Can you post your WLAN and policy profile?

@Arshad Safrulla he said above "5520 running 8.10.151.0 they fail if I use WPA2 Personal with a passcode" and "5508's running 8.3.143.0, they connect perfectly fine to WPA2 with AES"

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Alex-Pr By any chance do you have FT enabled/adaptive or PMF enabled for the SSID?

Can you post a debug client while user is trying to connect

it
Level 1
Level 1

Alex-Pr,

I realize I am jumping in here late, but I thought I would share my experience in case anyone else is having the same issue with these Clover devices.

We have a client who has 4 different model Clover devices, none of which would connect to any SSID we had broadcast on site.

We are running 9800-CL on 17.3.5a. All SSID's were in FlexConnect on Wave 2 AP's. Primarily 2802i.

The SSID's with configured WPA2/AES/PSK, PMF disabled, FT Adaptive.

After some troubleshooting we set up a test ID and it finally authenticated with WPA3/AES/SAE. PMF enabled, FT disabled.

The client bailed on me after the success so I haven't been able to identify the exact issue. I assume it was FT.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks

RK

You are correct.  It is the FT.  We were having the same issues. Clover would not connect.  Disable FT and boom...fixed it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card