Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect Netgear Access Point (AP) to Cisco 3750 - a few questions

RG78874
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, hoping someone can help with this type of setup below;

I have a Cisco 3750 Switch that is used for distributing the Internet for people to connect in to.

At the moment the setup is; Switch (in rack) > Patch panel to Ethernet Wall Ports > Laptops/ PC's patched in and they get the Internet.

The Switch is configured with a VLAN for the Internet and the other VLAN is for Management.

Now the new task is to get the laptops to connect in via a Wireless Access Point and probably be looking at 20 laptops on 100 mbps.

I have a Netgear WAX214 AP and a POE Injector.

Do I plug the POE Injector in the Rack and to the patch panel or out side on the office floor from the Wall Port and plug in to the mains?

Switch (in rack) > POE Injector > Patch Panel > Wall Port > AP connected to wall port > laptop connect by wifi

or

Switch (in rack) > Patch Panel > Wall Port > POE Injector > AP connected to wall port > laptop connect by wifi

The AP will be located on the main office floor.

And do I need to configure the Cisco Switch Port with any different settings, or what would I turn off?

Some extra info the Switch is connected to a Virgin media router via multi mode fibre to port 52.

Unfortunately I am not able to get the config from the device.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@balaji.bandiThank you for your input, and time taken. I followed this thread after searching a bit more deeper and my setup is like this.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/access-point-connecting-to-switch/td-p/4180308

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would expect this device to be nearer the devices.

Switch (in rack) > Patch Panel > Wall Port > POE Injector > AP connected to wall port > laptop connect by wifi

Switch port should be access port or trunk depends on requirement.

Ap should DHCP IP from your existing pool and natted with that IP

and wifi users get different IP address pool based on the wireless device you using.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi 

So currently the Switch already has setup to distribute the Internet, this has been setup as a VLAN.

I was hoping to patch the Access Point in put it in AP mode and configure an SSID and people can connect to it.

So I would of thought its like all the other users that are patched in via Ethernet cable, they will get their address from the ISP.

This Switch is linked to the router. It is an Access Switch that distributes the Internet. So my thinking is to remove any port security connect the access point as mentioned above, should this cause any problems?

correct me if i understand wrong here - you looking users to get IP address from ISP router ?

or you looking to have as below ;

ISP IP (AP) SSID - Local IP - users ?

BB

@balaji.bandi 

I'm looking for the best solution for users whom come into the office and want to connect their laptop to this AP.

At the moment when users come into the office they use an ethernet cable,

I have got an AP to plug into the Switch and I want users to be able to connect to the Internet.

No one will be on site that is technical and this needs to be as simple as possible.

The setup is;

Currently when a user is patched into the Internet Switch they get on to the Internet straight away, I want the same for the users who connect through an AP.

A hassle free solution.

Netgear WAX214 AP  - you need to refer the product documentation (this is out of scope of Cisco community)

As per the Switch concern, of the ports is Access or Trunk (the AP get the IP address)

for SSID configuration and Natting you need to look the product documentation ask respect forum for help (if you stuck)

check this guide :

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wax214#ConfigurationAssistance_CommonTopics

check this video help you :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ceWnLKzstc

BB

This is our first look at one of these WiFi 6 access points from Netgear, however this was on a deal that was too good to pass on! This is the run through of basic setup from first connection to fully configured and running speedtests of the maximum our ISP service provides us. The Netgear WAX214

@balaji.bandiThanks I will give this a try. I am more interested in the Switch/ Port configuration when connecting a Netgear access point to a Cisco Switch.

I'll give the video method a try.

As i mentioned Trunk or Access port does not matter as long the required VLAN available to get IP address for AP.

BB

@balaji.bandiThank you for your input, and time taken. I followed this thread after searching a bit more deeper and my setup is like this.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/access-point-connecting-to-switch/td-p/4180308

Sure so you know what is to be done now to make it work.

BB

I did make it work - 20 users connected, that's why I was thanking you and provided a link for others to the solution.

glad all good, thank you for your feed back to community.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card