Views
Helpful
Replies

Consultation on Roaming Optimization for WIFI6

xiaorenwu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone.

I am currently using WLC5520-8.10.196 and AP9115AXI in the office. I have noticed that some clients occasionally roam to farther APs. These clients are all Intel's WIFI6 network cards. The frequency band of AP is 80MHz.The AP3800 series used in another office area did not experience such extreme situations。

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Client roaming decisions are always autonomous ; however make sure that the Wifi drivers are up to date and or check if that can influence the roaming behavior , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight
  • Are both office areas managed by the same WLC5520 controller, or do they use separate controllers?
  • Do both office areas (with AP9115AXI and AP3800 series) have identical RF profiles and settings assigned, especially in terms of channel width, power levels, and band steering?
  • Have any differences in client density or interference sources (such as neighboring Wi-Fi networks or physical barriers) been identified between the two office areas?
  • Do you have client load balancing enabled on the APs in both office areas, and if so, is it configured the same way?

Like @marce1000 said, roaming is a client-side decision, and multiple factors can influence when and how clients roam, including signal strength, interference, driver behavior, and the device's roaming algorithm. It’s important to examine these factors closely to understand the situation better.

I would recommend reviewing your channel planning. Operating on 80 MHz channels requires careful planning since you will only have 5 non-overlapping channels available. Misconfigured channel plans can cause interference and suboptimal roaming performance.

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card