cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller AP in the Access Points List in Mobility Express missing?

I logged into the console of the Controller AP and show version got me this result:

I recently upgraded from 8.3.133 to 8.10.185 but when it finished, the controller AP did not show up as an access point, which was previously shown when I was still in 8.3.133.

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to
restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c) of the Commercial
Computer Software - Restricted Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and
subparagraph (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

Cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

This product contains some software licensed under the
"GNU General Public License, version 2" provided with
ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY under the terms of
"GNU General Public License, version 2", available here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

"GNU Library General Public License, version 2" provided
with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY under the terms of "GNU Library
General Public License, version 2", available here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.0.html

"GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1" provided
with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY under the terms of "GNU Lesser
General Public License, version 2.1", available here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

"GNU General Public License, version 3" provided with
ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY under the terms of
"GNU General Public License, Version 3", available here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html.

"GNU Affero General Public License, version 3" provided
with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY under the terms of
"GNU Affero General Public License, version 3", available here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html.

Cisco AP Software, (ap1g4), C1832, RELEASE SOFTWARE
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2024 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri Mar 24 18:52:59 GMT 2023

ROM: Bootstrap program is U-Boot boot loader
BOOTLDR: U-Boot boot loader Version 41

AP70D3.79DA.3AF8 uptime is 0 days, 0 hours, 14 minutes
Last reload time : Fri Feb 23 06:21:27 UTC 2024
Last reload reason : reload command

cisco AIR-AP1832I-A-K9 ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) with 996240/383892K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID KWC21120B40
AP Running Image : 8.10.185.0
Primary Boot Image : 8.10.185.0
Backup Boot Image : 8.3.133.0
Primary Boot Image Hash:
Backup Boot Image Hash:
AP Image type : MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE
AP Configuration : MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE
2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
2 802.11 Radios
Radio FW version : f39e59654a44b14dbeedf2603bab9cd0
NSS FW version : NSS.AK.C.CS-3-fix5

Base ethernet MAC Address : 70:D3:79:DA:3A:F8
Part Number : 0-0000-00
PCA Assembly Number : 074-104313-02
PCA Revision Number : 01
PCB Serial Number : KWC21120B40
Top Assembly Part Number : 000-00000-00
Top Assembly Serial Number : KWC21120B40
Top Revision Number : A0
Product/Model Number : AIR-AP1832I-A-K9

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think you're missing the point - even though the AP and ME WLC are running on the same hardware they basically run as 2 separate virtual machines so you can think of them as 2 completely separate devices.  No need to reset the whole setup, unless you want to, but the fact remains they must be on the same vlan and subnet otherwise you will need extra routing and discovery mechanisms configured (not advisable).  Personally I see no reason for using a static IP on the AP part - just use DHCP.  Static IP for the ME WLC is convenient so that you always know what IP to reach the WLC on.

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if a nearby device can still connect to it ,

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

@marce1000 

The WLANs I created when it was still in 8.3.133 were carried over. The WLANs are still broadcasting and working. Its just that the AP (itself) is not showing in the Access Point Administration Page. I believe it was the only way I can change the AP settings (IP, AP Name, etc)

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@donnalbenvillnueva 

Try to reconfigure again the AP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

@Ruben Cocheno 

I'm sorry I am pretty new to this experience I may have noob questions...like when you say "reconfigure", would you like me to reset the AP to its factory settings? Thank you in advance for being kind to a beginner. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Connect to the AP console (apciscoshell) and check that you see the same version there?
"sh capwap ip config"
"show capwap client rcb"
"show capwap client config"
"term len 0" then "show log" - save to text file and attach here. The log should show why the AP is not joining.

Note that 8.10.190.0 is the latest/recommended software release (ignore gold star on download pages).

@Rich R 

I attached a text file with outputs from the commands you requested. 

I also noticed that the log file was flooded with:

Feb 26 09:24:24 kernel: [*02/26/2024 01:24:24.1928] Discovery Request sent to FlexME 192.168.0.250

@Rich R @marce1000 

I have also attached a log from when the AP was booting. I hope you guys can help me. Thank you.

1. Upgrade to 8.10.190.0 to eliminate any possible known, fixed bugs in 8.10.185.0
2. AP70D3.79DA.3AF8#sh capwap ip config
     IP Address : 192.168.66.171
     IP netmask : 255.255.255.0
     Default Gateway : 192.168.66.168
Feb 23 16:07:22 kernel: [*02/23/2024 08:07:22.0272] Discovery Request sent to FlexME 192.168.0.250

The AP and ME are in different subnets so you either need appropriate routing in place between then or they should be on the same vlan and subnet as per the ME installation and setup guide.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide_chapter_0100.html
Using DHCP for the AP is recommended to avoid this type of static config mistake.

Once you have the IP addressing corrected (AP in same IP subnet and native vlan as ME) it should just work.

"The AP and ME are in different subnets so you either need appropriate routing in place between then or they should be on the same vlan and subnet as per the ME installation and setup guide."

- Problem though is that the AP and ME is one and the same device, 192.168.66.171 is the AP's IP while the 192.168.0.250 is used to access the Controller GUI. GUI doesnt recognize the AP (internal) (that might be the reason why it keeps on pinging itself, FlexME 192.168.0.250)

With this information, do you suggest I reset the AP(which is also the ME) through the reset button? (More than 20sec?)

I think you're missing the point - even though the AP and ME WLC are running on the same hardware they basically run as 2 separate virtual machines so you can think of them as 2 completely separate devices.  No need to reset the whole setup, unless you want to, but the fact remains they must be on the same vlan and subnet otherwise you will need extra routing and discovery mechanisms configured (not advisable).  Personally I see no reason for using a static IP on the AP part - just use DHCP.  Static IP for the ME WLC is convenient so that you always know what IP to reach the WLC on.

Thank you for clearing that part being the AP and ME as different machines. May I know what commands to execute to convert the settings to DHCP? I also believe that I have a lightweight setup because I have tried "configure terminal" on enabled mode but it just gives me a syntax error. 

From WLC to get into AP CLI, you need to enter 

(Cisco Controller) > apciscoshell
then try 
no capwap ap ip xx.xx.xx.xx netmask gateway

To clear the AP static IP config from apciscoshell:
clear capwap ap ip address
clear capwap ap ip default-gateway

The ME runs AireOS and the lightweight AP runs a basic CAPWAP shell which can only be configured from the WLC and some basic CAPWAP commands on console/ssh so neither of those support "conf t".

May I also know if there is a command to change the ME GUI IP Address (in this case, I can access the GUI via 192.168.0.250)? And from the suggestions, I will also have to put it in the same subnet as the Controller AP (192.168.66.171, static). Am I right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card