cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert a 1140 LWAP to Autonomous and abck again.....

Fraser Reid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am trying to get 5 "BOUGHT AS NEW" 1141 LWAP's connected to our WLC5508

But it looks like they already have been connected to a WLC. and when I try to type in the few needed commands I get "ERROR!!!! Command Disabled" back.

I have read somewhere that this is possible by converting them to Autonomous then back to Lightweight.

I have both LW and Autonomous Software for them but do not know how to get this done as the Doc on doing this is apparently not for a 1140 series AP......

Can anyone help ?

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

here is the resolution..

The  image that is on the device is LWAPP one, not the autonomous.. if  you  want to use the AP in autonomous mode then the image should be W7..   that is..

c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar not c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA.tar

I request you to do download any image from the below link and perform the conversion from LWAPP image to autonomous..

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/PlatformList.x?sftType=IOS+Software&mdfid=282439881&treeName=Wireless&mdfLevel=Model&url=null&modelName=Cisco+Aironet+1140+Access+Point&isPlatform=N&treeMdfId=278875243&modifmdfid=null&imname=&hybrid=Y&imst...

the methos to convert is..

download TFTPd32 from google and install it on ur PC.. point the image that you have downloaded in the TFTP server..

connect   a ethernet cable between ur laptop and AP.. both should be in the same   subnet.. and connect a console cable and get the hyperterminal console   access and issue the command.. make sure you are able to ping the PC  and the AP and vice versa!!

AP>en

AP#debug lwapp console cli or debug capwap console cli

AP#config t

AP(confg)int fa 0

AP(confg-if)ip addr (same subnet as that of the laptop)

AP(confg-if)end

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp:///

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://<10.0.0.5>/c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar

The above command will do it for you!!

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Now to reconvert the AP back to LWAPP..

Download the LWAPP image(W8) from the cisco website and get the console access the AP and just issue the command..

archive download-sw/overwrite/force-reload tftp:////

I assume we have the TFTPd32 downloaded from google and in the TFTPd32 pointing to the image.

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Thats great!! if you have the other one, then that will work as well..

W7 = Autonomous Image

W8 = LWAPP recovery image

Try the exact steps that that will help you!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

here is the resolution..

The  image that is on the device is LWAPP one, not the autonomous.. if  you  want to use the AP in autonomous mode then the image should be W7..   that is..

c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar not c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA.tar

I request you to do download any image from the below link and perform the conversion from LWAPP image to autonomous..

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/PlatformList.x?sftType=IOS+Software&mdfid=282439881&treeName=Wireless&mdfLevel=Model&url=null&modelName=Cisco+Aironet+1140+Access+Point&isPlatform=N&treeMdfId=278875243&modifmdfid=null&imname=&hybrid=Y&imst...

the methos to convert is..

download TFTPd32 from google and install it on ur PC.. point the image that you have downloaded in the TFTP server..

connect   a ethernet cable between ur laptop and AP.. both should be in the same   subnet.. and connect a console cable and get the hyperterminal console   access and issue the command.. make sure you are able to ping the PC  and the AP and vice versa!!

AP>en

AP#debug lwapp console cli or debug capwap console cli

AP#config t

AP(confg)int fa 0

AP(confg-if)ip addr (same subnet as that of the laptop)

AP(confg-if)end

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp:///

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://<10.0.0.5>/c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar

The above command will do it for you!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Now to reconvert the AP back to LWAPP..

Download the LWAPP image(W8) from the cisco website and get the console access the AP and just issue the command..

archive download-sw/overwrite/force-reload tftp:////

I assume we have the TFTPd32 downloaded from google and in the TFTPd32 pointing to the image.

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

I will now try exactly what you have written above in both directions.......I have 1x W7 and 1x

W8 - just different versions to what you have in your text but should still work......

I will let you all know what happens......

Thanks

Thats great!! if you have the other one, then that will work as well..

W7 = Autonomous Image

W8 = LWAPP recovery image

Try the exact steps that that will help you!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Well each "recovery" takes approx 10-15 mins cos they reboot after loading the new IOS.

But it is as smooth as butter.

I put my pc in VLAN 1 and the AP in VLAN 1 each on a port of a WS-C3560-12PC Desktop PoE Switch, connected the console cable between the PC and AP and that was that - done !

Cheers Surendra !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card