cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Correct Documentation for initial power on of Cisco Prime Appliance

william.blum
Level 1
Level 1

Please provide the proper guidance/documents for setting up a new CISCO Prime Infrastucture appliance. I'm setting up CISCO Prime Infrastruture 3.4 appliances (PI-UCS-APL-K9) in near future and the documentation is a little difficult to follow. 

1 - the cpi_hig.pdf "Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance Hardware Installation Guide", after the information about how to put the rails on and install into the rack, there is a section "Configuring the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance". This section shows basically how to put the IP and root password on the server. Does not seem to address the CISCO Prime Infrasturature Application.

2 - The "Cisco Prime Infrastruture 3.4 Appliance Hardware Installation Guide" has nothing on how to install the appliance into a rack and the section "Set the Appliance" is very DIFFERENT to the cpi_hig.pdf section in paragrah 1.

3. What is the proper sequence for installing an out of the box Cisco Prime Infrastructure appliance? Is there any reason with the new appliances at start up to press F8 (cpi_hig.pdf) or has the autoscript (Cisco Prime Infrastruture 3.4 Appliance Hardware Installation Guide.pdf) replaced those actions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For the HTTPS part, Prime comes with a self signed certificate so you will get the normal "not secure" browser error, just add an exception and move on. You can upload a CA later on.

Between 2014 and 2018 Prime has change quite a bit, I believe it was version 2.x back in 2014 and is now 2018.

There is a Prime 3.4 quick start guide here

All the guides around install and upgrade here

And the Admin guide for Prime configurations here

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

1 - the cpi_hig.pdf "Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance Hardware Installation Guide", after the information about how to put the rails on and install into the rack, there is a section "Configuring the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance". This section shows basically how to put the IP and root password on the server. Does not seem to address the CISCO Prime Infrasturature Application.

Basically what you need is exactly that. After configured the IP address, mask and gateway and define the role (primery or secondary) you can access the server using HTTPS and that´s it.  What else you want to configure? 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

New one on me, how do you connect https without a certificate loaded on the server? 

If I understand you correctly the cpi_hig.pdf section on Powering On the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance and subsequent Configuring the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance section is all one needs to do and the bk_Cisco_prime_infrastructure_3_4_Appliance_Hardware_installation_Guide.pdf section  Set the Appliance section is superfluous. 

What is confusing me, maybe, is both documents start off at power on, the cpi_hig from 2014 has a script come up and the 3.4 Appliance Hardware install from 2018 requires an F8 for a configuration Utility. So has there been a change from 2014 and 2018 or are we talking apples and oranges on these two hardware installation guides?

For the HTTPS part, Prime comes with a self signed certificate so you will get the normal "not secure" browser error, just add an exception and move on. You can upload a CA later on.

Between 2014 and 2018 Prime has change quite a bit, I believe it was version 2.x back in 2014 and is now 2018.

There is a Prime 3.4 quick start guide here

All the guides around install and upgrade here

And the Admin guide for Prime configurations here

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you. Did not see/read about the pre-loaded CISCO certificate.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card