cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating SSIDs on Aironet 1240AG

Forrestt Conlon
Level 1
Level 1

I have taken over the management of 4 Cisco Aironet 1240AG access points, and as part of the move to a new network, I have to create new SSIDs and vlans.

I do not have much experience with cisco Access points and when I try to create a new Vlan using the gui interface i get the following error.

error: A vlan cannot be created when no radio is installed

These systems are in a live production environment and are all linked, so I do not want to bring the AP's down with a missed configuration.

I do not have any test ones to work on, so I have come for help on this.....

Show a bit of background..

I have four AP's all Cisco's Aironet 1240AG's, They have no vlans set on the devices, and are all connected to the network on vlan 111.

When I use the define Valn using the gui interface I get the message "error: A vlan cannot be created when no radio is installed"

I have check the systems using the command line and there does not seem to be any vlans setup..

They are broadcasting a SSID at the moment but I am unable to locate any vlan assigned to this.

So my question's are....

1: Do I need to create a Vlan and set it as the native vlan. Say Vlan 111 on the AP

2: If I do this on one of the AP will this have a knock on effect to the other AP's 

3: Do I need to use the CLI to create the SSID's and the Vlan's

4: How do I broadcast the two Vlan's that I create?

Thanks for your help on this.

2 Replies 2

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

are you trying with Firefox browser ? if yes then don't use it.

please try with CLI or use Internet Explorer !

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do it with the CLI. Those old APs have very incompatible webinterfaces with todays browser.

Here is a guide:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/multiple-ssid-with-multiple-vlans-configuration-example-on-cisco/ta-p/3118056

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card