cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CW9166I-E AP cannot register to C9800-80 WLC

pengus
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Catalyst 9800-80 Wireless Controller version is 17.9.4a. I check compability matrix and no problem to registring ap. But ap logs Discarding msg CAPWAP_WTP_EVENT_REQUEST(type 9) in CAPWAP state: Join(5). and i check AP join statistics on C9800-80 controller  i see Reason for last unsuccessful join attempt :  Unsupported ap. How can register ap to WLC?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pengus
Level 1
Level 1

This issue was likely occurring in countries like Turkey that transitioned to Wi-Fi 6 later. I had activated different regulatory domains on the WLC, but I couldn't register the 9166 AP. When I upgraded the WLC to version 17.9.5, the problem was resolved, and the 9166 AP was able to register with the WLC.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this only AP Model not joined ?

Couple of things to check :

1. NTP

2. regulatory domain

3. License on WLC ?

check may be bug and work around :

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvr28291

Can you post complete boot log from AP console until failed to look.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I think it may be related to the regulatory domain, but I do not know how to change the regulatory domain of the ap through the cli. 

Thanks for helps.

When you go into the config, run this command:

wireless country <two-letter code for country>

For example, for Ireland I'd run "wireless country IE".

I try my country code(TR), US, DE. Also i change default-ap-profile country code. but not fix problem. 

Note: No problem other APs like 9120,2800. 

WLC #sh run | i country

wireless country DE
wireless country TR
wireless country US
ap country TR,DE,US

WLC# show ap profile all-profiles

AP Profile Name : default-ap-profile
Description : default ap profile
Country code : DE
Stats Timer : 180
Link Latency : DISABLED
Data Encryption : DISABLED
LED State : ENABLED

AP#show capwap client configuration | i Country

Country ISO Code : DE

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  Have a checkup of the 9800 WLC configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed the output to : Wireless Config Analyzer

-  Debug the joining process further on : https://logadvisor.cisco.com/logadvisor/wireless/9800/9800APJoin
    - Outputs from https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/217738-monitor-catalyst-9800-kpis-key-performa.html#anc4 can also be useful
   -  If there would be an exotic bug  ; have a try with 17.9.5 (or consider giving it a try)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Added reply , could you verify  this AP model by entering it's serial number in  https://cway.cisco.com/sncheck/
                         or on switch where the AP is connected too , issue the command    show cdp neighbors detail 

(please provide results)
  Tx , M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

snchecp.png

- Ok, could you execute the steps from my first reply too , very important ; such the WirelessAnalyzer  procedure to start with ,

M.

- Still looking for clues  ; you didn't accidently order one with the meraki version/image ?

M.

i am not sure. how to check that?  i want to upload ap1g6a-k9w8-tar.153-3.JPR.tar to ap. But i dont find how to copyt remote file to AP. I check WirelessAnalyzer  but not problemlem or log related to 9166 join issue.

>...i am not sure. how to check that?  i want to upload ap1g6a-k9w8-tar.153-3.JPR.tar to ap
 - Not possible , if you bought the AP for Meraki use ; needs to be converted can only be done by Cisco/Meraki = contact TAC  . 

M.

in debug trace logs, problems cause seems regulative domain

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card