cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different AP groups on same floor for mixed HD/office, same vlan/wlan ID

Brian Taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any roaming issues for voice clients when you have different AP groups on the same floor? For instance, a lecture hall has very high data rates and rrm parameters while the rest of the floor is office and needs lower data rates?   The WLAN ID and vlan would be the same.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

There is no significant impact with voice roaming between different AP groups.

View solution in original post

Hello,

I have the same issue where 3802 has its own AP group and 1815W its own AP group on the same floor.  I have spoken to Cisco TAC and get two different answers.  One says, it does not roam the other says it will roam.  After doing some testing and debugging a client to roam between the two different AP groups, the client re-associates  with the new AP group everything it switches.  What's the official word from Cisco?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

Wireless client does not roam between APs if they belong to a different AP group. 

For voice clients you dont necessarilly need high data rate but you need an stable connection, low latency. WLAN should be the same. For VLAN you can have as many as necessary. 

Again, if you put AP on differents AP groups, we can not roam between them. AP group is just like VLANs in LAN network, they create segments on Air Interface.

They can do L2 or L3 roaming no problem. Even between different VLANs.  I am curious about the speed of the roam though.  

The following cisco live presentation is recommending the case I am suggesting. BRKEWN-2010 las vegas 2017 

There is no significant impact with voice roaming between different AP groups.

Hello,

I have the same issue where 3802 has its own AP group and 1815W its own AP group on the same floor.  I have spoken to Cisco TAC and get two different answers.  One says, it does not roam the other says it will roam.  After doing some testing and debugging a client to roam between the two different AP groups, the client re-associates  with the new AP group everything it switches.  What's the official word from Cisco?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card