Views
Helpful
Replies

Diffs between Aironoet 1300 and 1400

malberttoo
Level 1
Level 1

Gurus,

We paid an outside firm to set us up with a wireless shot connecting our two facilites, 2 miles apart. They used Aironet 1400 bridges, that pass both Data and CCME VoIP traffic, and a few Vlans.

Our company may take posession of another building only about 1/2 mile away from the existing main site, where one of the 1400's is located. Wireless has worked well for us so far, and I would plan on setting up a wireless link to the new site as well.

The 1300's and 1400's are substantially different in price, and I was wondering what the difference is between them, at least for my application.

Thanks,

-Michael

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Good question! I would stick with the 1400 Series. The main difference is that the 1300 Bridge operates in the 2.4 b/g range and the 1400 Bridge operates in the 5ghz a range. This fact will almost always mean less interference to contend with.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

jpolczyn
Level 1
Level 1

The 1300 series is basically a 1231G with a coax-based power injector built into a weather proof plastic case. It operates only on the 2.4Ghz spectrum (802.11g) which as mentioned is crowded and potentially more subject to interference.

The 1400 series is a 5GHz spectrum radio (802.11a) which means it has 8 non-overlapping channels compared to the 1300s 3 non-overlapping channels. The device itself is a sturdy access point built from die cast metal.

The problem with the 1400 is that it doesn't support WPA2/AES. Or at least didn't the last time I worked with the bridges. The lack of WPA2/AES support means you will use LEAP to secure the link. LEAP is unfortunately vulnerable to a proliferation of offline attacks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Good question! I would stick with the 1400 Series. The main difference is that the 1300 Bridge operates in the 2.4 b/g range and the 1400 Bridge operates in the 5ghz a range. This fact will almost always mean less interference to contend with.

Hope this helps!

Rob

jpolczyn
Level 1
Level 1

The 1300 series is basically a 1231G with a coax-based power injector built into a weather proof plastic case. It operates only on the 2.4Ghz spectrum (802.11g) which as mentioned is crowded and potentially more subject to interference.

The 1400 series is a 5GHz spectrum radio (802.11a) which means it has 8 non-overlapping channels compared to the 1300s 3 non-overlapping channels. The device itself is a sturdy access point built from die cast metal.

The problem with the 1400 is that it doesn't support WPA2/AES. Or at least didn't the last time I worked with the bridges. The lack of WPA2/AES support means you will use LEAP to secure the link. LEAP is unfortunately vulnerable to a proliferation of offline attacks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card