Views
Helpful
Replies

Disconnect wireless users when they leave the building

Zhomart Asken
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I wanted to know is  there any functionality or solution that drops wi-fi users automatically when they leave permitted area, for example when they go out of the shop? This is for restriction of unwanted connections from outside the building to guest wi-fi.

Best wishes, Zhomart

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There isn't one. The WLC doesn't know if the user is out of the building, in sleep mode or powered off. You have two timers that control when a client is removed from the WLC. The session timer, which is the overall hard timer and forces a re authentication and the idle timer which when expired will also remove the client from the WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There isn't one. The WLC doesn't know if the user is out of the building, in sleep mode or powered off. You have two timers that control when a client is removed from the WLC. The session timer, which is the overall hard timer and forces a re authentication and the idle timer which when expired will also remove the client from the WLC.

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Scott.  No way.

One way for you to minimize signal "bleed" outside the premises is to use directional patch antennas at the border of your premises. 

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Zhomart,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

I think there is no way or any functionality or solution that drops wi-fi users automatically when they leave permitted area. Whenever the session timer expires with the idle timer the client will be removed from WLC.

Hope this will help you.

Zhomart Asken
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I'm still thinking about solution to this requirement. Could we achieve our goals if we lower the transmit power of antennas?

You would have to really survey the area to see where the access points can be placed and then what power should they be. The issue you will face is that the 5ghz attenuate's faster than the 2.4ghz so this might be tricky. Your coverage toward the exterior walls will be poor for your users and that's not a good thing. All you really can do is buy window film that blocks rf and or paint that blocks rf. This will also affect your cellular, etc.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card