cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Spaces without DNA Center OR Prime - no maps ?

Is it possible to use DNA Spaces without DNA Center or Prime ?

There does not seem to be a nice way (read , any way) of getting maps in DNA Spaces without those two.

Did I miss something ?

Thanks

Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no. 

Officially, DNAC appliance is mandatory. 

Unofficially, I know of some people who are enrolled in special "DNA Spaces" features that does not require DNAC to import and plot the APs into the maps.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no. 

Officially, DNAC appliance is mandatory. 

Unofficially, I know of some people who are enrolled in special "DNA Spaces" features that does not require DNAC to import and plot the APs into the maps.  

I have access to a DNA Center (but not with the controllers added to it).

I tried to "trick" it by putting in "planned" APs on the map (with the right MAC and serial numbers of the AP actually on the floor).

I then exported the map and imported into DNA Spaces.

The import worked (of course), but NO APs

I guess I have to "ask around" for that "unofficial" solution then Thanks.

PS: To myself

*sigh* - So another thing you cant do with a Cisco wireless solution without DNA-C

No ML/AI RRM, No DNA Spaces .... ... Im getting real tired of this. - Oh well ...

@Thomas Obbekaer Thomsen wrote:
So another thing you cant do with a Cisco wireless solution without DNA-C

There are some Cisco BU who quietly and privately accept that many business opportunities have been lost (example, 1800 network sensor) &/or will never get past the drawing board because "DNAC is a mandatory requirement" stance.  

As long as DNAC remains exceptionally & prohibitively expensive (to own, operate and maintain), it is no wonder some are still clinging on to PI 3.10 regardless of the EoS/EoL announcement.  

Just what I have been saying for quite some time. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Leo has already answered the question for you but Cisco have assured me (a few weeks ago) that direct map uploads to Spaces are currently in customer beta and will "soon" be released (I don't know what/when soon is though).  If you want to join the beta talk to your account team and/or spaces team.  If spaces team don't respond within 2 days keep pestering them seems to be the only way to get a response.

There are lots of us who will not even consider Spaces if it requires DNAC or Prime as it currently does.  We fired up an old Prime server to create a map for a Spaces demo and then shut the server down again, now decommissioned.  As long as it matches the AP data (name, not sure if it even needs to match MAC?) on the map to what it receives from WLC/connector then the APs should work with spaces.

Note the APs only go active in Spaces when it actually receives data from those APs.

Interesting. - Now I have to start nagging people, that is what you are telling me

I was thinking about installing a temp. PI ..... But all the damm work ... And PI is soon dead, so what should a potential customer do ..... Thanks for all the info.

I'll sit back and cross my fingers for a solution soonish.

@Thomas Obbekaer Thomsen wrote:
Now I have to start nagging people

Absolutely.  Relentlessly pester your Cisco Account Manager/SE/PSS.  It is their job.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card